Tranny Questions

-

Hemi_Duster

Reaction score
Sorry if I missed this some where.

I have the option to get the original tranny from the 2009 charger I got my 5.7 from. What is the part number for this and do the controls reside within the ECU?

If it is an automatic (nag 1 ) don't bother, they are very difficult to make work in an old car.

x2!! Get a truck trans or use a small block trans.

I think those are also a nag1...a but load more cause they are awd.

5.7 trans are the nag1. I have a stand alone solution to use the nag1. Its no tougher than anything else with the right kit

Yes, but for the srt8 jeep isn't it a nag1 awd version with transfer case? Send the man a pm about the stand alone controller for the nag1, he might want to get it.

Thanks for all the comments guys, biggest reason it's a consideration is the price. $200! Just figured I already have hours of wiring to do; why not add an extra couple hours and have a 5 speed auto.

Some info.
Called the guys at shophemi.com and they gave me some great info on using my NAG1 tranny! Looks like there is a NAG1 going in the Duster!

Thanks all for the info again!

When I had my 05 Dodge Magnum with the 5.7 and NAG1 I absolutely hated that tranny. It was never in the right gear for cruzing around town. It always wanted to be on OD so the engine was always lugging. I had it re-flashed at the dealer, but that did not help. I have the 545 in my Dart and it shifts like a bear. Just my .02c

Tincup. Thanks for your 2 cents. What does that 545 come out of? I just decided in this moment that the guy who has the NAG1 from my hemi can shove the tranny up his a$$. i didnt have room for it on Saturday so I asked him if i could come pick it up today and he decided the price was double. Well hope he enjoys his yard ornament!
Would i use the OEM Hemi flex plate and converter for that 545 or do i need the converter for the 545?

Who's got a stand alone controller for the NAG? I've not seen or heard about it?

My understanding is the key problem with installing the NAG is that the computer relies upon wheel speed sensors to determine the speed of the car to determine what gear the car should be in, as a result you need to add speed sensors to your wheels or add them to your driveshaft.

The RFE 545 has a speed sensor built into the output shaft of the transmission which provides wheel speed, thus no additional sensors required.

As stated above I know of no standalone controller for either the NAG or the 545 if you do point me in the right direction, I'd love to read up on it.

Finally, just so your clear, many have put both the 545 and the NAG into a classic mopar, but be aware that it requires significant surgery to the floor. It is NOT a bolt in operation by any means. There's a lot of good threads on here by guys who've done it, check one out before you begin. No sense in re-inventing the wheel.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

One possibility for a standalone controller is PCS (Powertrain Control Solutions) the info on their website leaves you wondering, but here are a few documents that refer to the 545RFE.
[ame]http://www.powertraincontrolsolutions.com/download/tcu/harness/545-45RFE.pdf[/ame]
[ame="http://www.powertraincontrolsolutions.com/OEM%20Catalog.pdf"]http://www.powertraincontrolsolutions.com/OEM%20Catalog.pdf[/ame]
http://www.powertraincontrolsolutions.com/downloads2.php

Nobody offers a stand alone controller for thr 545rfe trans! But I hear there is something for the nag1. It's funny, 2002 the 545rfe came out and in 2012 there still isn't much.

Tincup. Thanks for your 2 cents. What does that 545 come out of? I just decided in this moment that the guy who has the NAG1 from my hemi can shove the tranny up his a$$. i didnt have room for it on Saturday so I asked him if i could come pick it up today and he decided the price was double. Well hope he enjoys his yard ornament!
Would i use the OEM Hemi flex plate and converter for that 545 or do i need the converter for the 545?

You have to use the 545 flex plate and converter. The stock converter is 2400-2800 stall depending on who you talk to. The link I just posted has higher stall converters.

Stand alone for nag1 is still not ready for prime time. I have spoken in great detail to both parties who are making them. Paramount performance and power train solutions. The issue is with the toner rings or lack there of. One possible solution is to mount a sensor on the tranny flange or ds. Time will tell.

You have to use the 545 flex plate and converter. The stock converter is 2400-2800 stall depending on who you talk to. The link I just posted has higher stall converters.

Thanks for that, I got the converter, and flex plate when I bought the tranny. $650 for the whole shootin match. I dont think that was to aweful considering it has 29K miles and I drove 10 minutes to get it.

Who's got a stand alone controller for the NAG? I've not seen or heard about it?

My understanding is the key problem with installing the NAG is that the computer relies upon wheel speed sensors to determine the speed of the car to determine what gear the car should be in, as a result you need to add speed sensors to your wheels or add them to your driveshaft.

The RFE 545 has a speed sensor built into the output shaft of the transmission which provides wheel speed, thus no additional sensors required.

As stated above I know of no standalone controller for either the NAG or the 545 if you do point me in the right direction, I'd love to read up on it.

Finally, just so your clear, many have put both the 545 and the NAG into a classic mopar, but be aware that it requires significant surgery to the floor. It is NOT a bolt in operation by any means. There's a lot of good threads on here by guys who've done it, check one out before you begin. No sense in re-inventing the wheel.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

When I called the Shophemi guys it wasent like there was a huge conversation. It basically went like this.... (ME)"I need info on using a NAG1, I have been told i need a few extra parts. What should I buy"? (Salesman)... "We sell a kit for using the NAG1. comes with TCM, ECU, Pedel and harness $2700".

So thats what info I have to give.

They ARE NOT that difficult to make work. I can make it work as a stand alone, you set the stock ecm to a manual config. The kit is roughly $1200.

USCG is partially correct, there are a couple very minor challenges with programming. You can send them into limp mode in a few situations, but you can send a completely stock nag1 in an LX into limp mode too.

This kit is ready, it is running behind gen3 motors. I work directly with the primary developer.

-
Back