Tranny to block brackets and headers

-
Reaction score
Just finished putting in a new Cope 904 in my 68 Barracuda w/ 318. It went well until I tried to install the brackets which go from the lower block to the bottom holes in the bell housing. There's no way I can see that they will work with the headers (Dougs). Any tips would be appreciated.

Manifolds & braces or headers & no braces.

Or manual transmission, headers or manifolds & still no braces.

The choice is yours.

Throw them in the trash just like exhaust manifolds and thermo-bogs:D:D

Stash and Sell them later. Lots of cars go back!

I'm not sure in what year they stopped using those braces. I know my '69 had them, but did a '70? They were obviously not needed.

I'm not sure in what year they stopped using those braces. I know my '69 had them, but did a '70? They were obviously not needed.

They did, at least on E-body cars I have worked on or seen. There were two types, flat L and rounded. They were there for a reason!

Last edited:
My 74 power wagon has them as well.

I wonder what the consequences are with not using the braces? I'm going to venture and guess none. Anyone ever experience a block or tranny case failure that could be attributed to the missing braces?

I wonder what the consequences are with not using the braces? I'm going to venture and guess none. Anyone ever experience a block or tranny case failure that could be attributed to the missing braces?

I took them off my daily driver 68 Barracuda with a 318 and put 300,000 miles on it with no issues....

Just finished putting in a new Cope 904 in my 68 Barracuda w/ 318. It went well until I tried to install the brackets which go from the lower block to the bottom holes in the bell housing. There's no way I can see that they will work with the headers (Dougs). Any tips would be appreciated.

You can't use the side brackets with headers because they interfere with each other....

The car will be fine without them see my above post.... ^^^^

They were used on cars with automatic transmissions only.

They get tossed all the time. My truck has headers and they do not interfere.

I don’t think the factory put them in place for no reason. Not sure why they did only that a small block has less bellhousing surface area.

I was just saying sooner or later someone is going to want some for restoration to original and you might make a couple bucks down the road if you save them.

They get tossed all the time. My truck has headers and they do not interfere.

I don’t think the factory put them in place for no reason. Not sure why they did only that a small block has less bellhousing surface area.

I was just saying sooner or later someone is going to want some for restoration to original and you might make a couple bucks down the road if you save them.
Yah, I won't throw them away, spend 2hrs cleaning them up with 600 grit on a mini da sander. You could eat with them if anybody's short on silverware.

Have seen broken bellhousings, but on gm’s where peoples left them out.
A lot of bowties have them.
Even my 92 gmc.
Never saw a broken dodge one yet.
I suppose it it ran over some boulders or a hard snowbank it might break it.

Mine wouldn't clear the TTI's either so I sold them. Has about 10,000 hard miles on it with no problems. Approx 485 hp stroker

Throw them in the trash just like exhaust manifolds and thermo-bogs:D:D

I laughed when i read this. Back in 1970 my brother bought a 68 GTS with a 383 (he still has the car). First thing in the trash? Exhaust manifolds. Guess what? Those manifolds are gold today. Lol. Who knew!

-
Back