Trans cable recommendation needed

-

rod7515

Reaction score
I have a 66 Dart, 408 with a 904 tranny. I’m using a Hurst Pro-Matic shifter. My first cable melted down from the header heat. So the next cable I protected with 3 layers of heat protection. Drove probably 500 plus miles all short hops. No more problem from heat but tonight the interior cable broke at the trans linkage. So I’m tired of the cheap hurst cable. Does anyone make a steel encased cable that will hold up long term? I guess I’m off to summit to look at my options. Suggestions would be welcome.
Thanks Rod

Sometimes it's easier to run the cable from the back side to avoid all the heat of the headers. My TCI Cheetah RMVB shifter pulled from the rear. No more melted cables.

I think most of the quality shifters use a Morse cable. Sounds like yours might have been in a bind, trying to avoid header heat. Maybe try a longer or shorter cable.
(And yeah, the cheetah and Winters sidewinder cables coming in from the rear is a definite advantage.....)

You may try a 6' B&M cable.If your shifter cable exits the front,see if you can run the cable to the passenger side,under the bell housing to the shifter bracket on the transmission.This photo is 20 years old and is still in use today.I made a few covers/shields to keep the cable in place.Cable in red.This is on a 904.
IMG_0430.jpg

I have a new cable on the way thanks to summit. It’s again one of plastic housing. Going to take some extra time and try getting a better fitment down on the side of the trans. That’s where it broke. May need to rework a bracket. There’s is very little room there to work. I have 3” exhaust that makes it even tighter to get at. Not looking forward to it but it’s something that must be done. I’ll try posting some pics next week as I replace the cable.
Rod

So ive gotta ask a question. When using an aftermarket shifter they come with different trans levers. They only ever list the chrysler 727 trans and never say a 904. My Dart has a 904 and i used the chrysler arm that came in the kit. Its a Hurst Pro-Matic. There was nothing for a 904 in the kit. Im assuming thàt the chrysler arm does both trans. Am i right on this?
Thanks Rod

Darter6, I gotta thank you for the great advice of running the cable across the right side in front of bell and then thru the bracket to linkage. That worked out well and the shifter works smoother and easier then it ever has. I bought the longest cable hurst supplies which I think was 5’. Makes using that shifter so much better. I was close to buying a new shifter but this seems to have solved the shifter ratcheting issues I had before the cable broke.

i Should let anyone following this thread know that my shift pattern is manual valve body forward pattern.

again thanks for some great information.

Rod

Almost forgot, I bought a new kit with all the trans arms and brackets for that shifter. I think it was around $35. The arm for Chrysler was the same one that was already on my trans so it was wasted money but at least I am sure everything is correct.
Rod

Almost forgot, I bought a new kit with all the trans arms and brackets for that shifter. I think it was around $35. The arm for Chrysler was the same one that was already on my trans so it was wasted money but at least I am sure everything is correct.
Rod
Sorry you didn't get an answer in time. Yeah, the 727 and 904 arms are the same.

-
Back