Trans cooler lines 904

-

AW-100

Reaction score
1965 Barracuda 273 with 904. One of the cooler lines have been compressed between the starter and steering, so I guess I have restricted coolant flow. Needless to say, I need to replace that line. I have measured the OD to be 5/16 on the tube. I guess ID will be approx 3/8? Can I use 3/8 copper tube to replace it?

I read that the flare nut is 1/8 NTP at both radiator and transmission. But from what I can tell there are flare adapters at all positions. Am I looking for a 3/8 flare nut for the new pipe?

Inline Tube has what you need

1965 Barracuda 273 with 904. One of the cooler lines have been compressed between the starter and steering, so I guess I have restricted coolant flow. Needless to say, I need to replace that line. I have measured the OD to be 5/16 on the tube. I guess ID will be approx 3/8? Can I use 3/8 copper tube to replace it?

I read that the flare nut is 1/8 NTP at both radiator and transmission. But from what I can tell there are flare adapters at all positions. Am I looking for a 3/8 flare nut for the new pipe?
It's physically impossible to have a 5/16 OD and a 3/8 ID.
If you still have the original transmission, it has 5/16 cooler lines. Just go to the parts store and buy the appropriate length of 5/16 line and bend it to fit, duplicating the old line. Don't use copper.

I measured OD to be 5/16. I thought pipes were named by ID? Local parts store operates in mm. Hence I have to order the parts.

5/16 would be 7.94mm, if my math was done right. You could use aluminum tubing for those lines, it is easier to work with.
You can get everything to repair what you need at Summit Racing. Look under Tubing, and fittings.
A coveat: If I remember right the fittings that are in the transmission, are NPTS ( National Pipe Thread Straight) NOT NPT, which are tapered pipe thread. Summit has all that stuff. You might be able to Use NPT in the tranny tho.

Dave

-
Back