trans fail

-

hangn0ut

Reaction score
727 quit working the other day. Seems the drive lugs sheared off the oil pump gear. Looks like the lugs were spot welded on. And not a very good spot weld at that. Maybe 60% of the contact area welded. Is this the way they are? Or is this offshore stuff?

All the pumps I have ever seen are one solid piece with no seams or welds at all.
I wonder if fishey68 (Tracy) has ever seen that, and might know what the deal is with it.

Did it chew stuff up inside the pump where you would also have to question the converter?

Would love some pictures too. I have never seen a front pump like that either. Maybe it was broken previously and somebody "repaired" it.

Would love some pictures too. I have never seen a front pump like that either. Maybe it was broken previously and somebody "repaired" it.

Sure makes ya wonder doesn't it?
Those gears are a powedered metal if I remember right, so I don't see them being welded as a repair.
It almost has to be aftermarket parts of some sort.

Yeah it rolled the lugs up and took out the bushing. I will post up pics later today of the gear where the lugs were attached.

Well I couldn't post pics to this thread. I did get pics posted to my photo gallery. ????? 3 pics. I will post more if you like. Okay pics,using my cell phone.

Well I couldn't post pics to this thread. I did get pics posted to my photo gallery. ????? 3 pics. I will post more if you like. Okay pics,using my cell phone.

Looks like a normal pump gear to me, just with the lugs snapped off.
Do you by chance have a manual valve body?

How did you know?lol yeah, griner rmvb. If it was a one piece casting wouldn't the area where the lug was be rough completely? I can see machine marks or lines from the mold on the pad where the lug was.

How did you know?lol yeah, griner rmvb. If it was a one piece casting wouldn't the area where the lug was be rough completely? I can see machine marks or lines from the mold on the pad where the lug was.

Does this pic help answer that question?
Also, the reason I asked about the manual valve body is because they are harder on those lugs.

Looks to me like a normal pump gear with the lugs sheared off.

Attachments

• DriveLug.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 90
-
Back