trans fluid survey

-

fstfish66

Reaction score
dont some work on my car,, wondering what is every one using in there standard 833 4 speed box ??? 80/90 weight 140 weight ?? whats woring better,,,any one have a comparasin ??

I used to run straight 90w in my 4 speeds. For the Sedan (assuming I put a stick in it) I'll probably go all synthetic. And for the record, Chrysler used to recommend ATF in a 4 speed in "cold weather climates". DON'T do that where it's not gonna get below freezing.

DAMHIK

When I had the 4spd. in my car I ran straight 140w, but the summers here in SE Va. can be brutal. It always shifted smooth even in winter.

i had 90w in it then read in the service manual 140w,,,just looking to see whos running what, thanks

I put in some kind of gear oil the first time I filled a tranny, But I find that all the 4 speed and manual 3 speeds that I have taken out, have ATF in them. So that is what I put in my 4 spd this time. Don't know about the cold climate part of it, I have had a 4 speed for years, and they always seem fine hot or cold.

I live in Vancouver BC

Phil

yes i have heard that but i have never seen it in writing to use ATF,,, some thing to think about,,

ATF in mine. The owners manual in my 72 Duster says ATF or in hot climates the lighter weight gear oil is OK. I find they shift better with the ATF.

Chuck

An MTL 75w-90 GL4 is good for heavy duty/hot operation. The newer GL5 hypoid gear oils in those lighter weights are probably OK, but make sure is a dual-rated GL4/5 rated fluid that is not going to eat the synchros. I'd stay away from anything 140 - too heavy. You won't notice it with the FMs in a synthetic variety, but just not needed - overkill.

ATF was the factory fill before modern synchromesh fluids came on the scene. Those are the best choices for all around use nowadays.

thanks every one ill look at the local speed shop see what they have,,soon to be back together,, i hope, thats if murphy moves out

-
Back