? Trans guru's, bands?

-

69MOPE

Reaction score
What bands do I want to run in my 727? Grooved or not grooved. Red race material or Kevlar or carbon fiber?
2400 pound car, 1100+ hp, 1/4 mile drag racing, some street

I always felt the grooved bands let the fluid out from between the band and drum quicker allowing less slippage.
Kevlar on the bands.

Everything I've read says that the red, grooved band should be used for the kickdown band at least. Apparently the kevlar is a little tough & can glaze the drum over. A&A seems to have the bast price on the the red band. Think it's around $40-$45. The rear band isn't as critical as it's non-shifting so kevlar is ok there.

EDIT: 1100hp? Well then you should be running some aftermarket internals, aka front drum, pump, gears, etc. The band would then need to match the type & width of drum. I'd definitely be working with one of the good 727 companies on this build.

So far, A&A super sprag, large piston Ultimate drum, 6 pinion planetaries, hardened pump gears and roller bearing rear drum and Gov support. I am tring to order the rest of what I need but to many choices, need help. Thanks

Whose drum? That's honestly who I'd get the matching band from. Steel drums use the grooves. The non-grooved are for aluminum if I recall. Other than that it's simply making sure it's the right width.

Oh & make sure it's a "Solid" band. No flex band for that animal.

If you have an honest 1100 HP, a 727 ain't gonna make it.

..................With that hp and that light of a car I would recommend a power glide.....but I don't know if I could go to a glide......kim.......

..................With that hp and that light of a car I would recommend a power glide.....but I don't know if I could go to a glide......kim.......

Yeah that would work too.

A lot depends on what class he's going to run in. My ex boss ran Powerglides in his Super Gas Car as do most of the others in the class. Super comp cars also run Power Glides. What was interesting was when he built his first BA/A car he found that the powerglide wasn't doing the job, so he went to first of all a 727, and eventually went to a 904. Lots of his companies hard core parts in the transmission, as one of it's uses is a rolling test bed for what they manufacture.

The 3 speed was the answer. Car runs a Steve Schmidt 500" Chev in the high 6's low 7's. He held the BA/A et and mph record for a while. Dyno'd HP in the 1200 range.

So in answer will a TF hold up to big HP,YUP it sure will.

Getting back to my tech question

"What bands do I want to run in my 727? Grooved or not grooved. Red race material or Kevlar or carbon fiber?
2400 pound car, 1100+ hp, 1/4 mile drag racing, some street "

It's a steel drum, so what I gather is I want grooved,
Red race,
and as wide a band that will fit.

Getting back to my tech question

"What bands do I want to run in my 727? Grooved or not grooved. Red race material or Kevlar or carbon fiber?
2400 pound car, 1100+ hp, 1/4 mile drag racing, some street "

It's a steel drum, so what I gather is I want grooved,
Red race,
and as wide a band that will fit.

I just got off the phone with the company that makes steel drums. Paul told me on the steel drum it makes NO difference which band you use. They sell both the red band and the band that is used in the A518 diesel (black friction material).

-
Back