Trans Identification and ?

-

mguner

How many is too many?
Reaction score
trans-89a.jpg
I found this in a friends collection of stuff. I am pretty sure it was behind a 318 in a 89 3/4 ton van. Is this just a lock up 904 or ... and what does the little switch sticking out below the rear cooler line do?

I'm not a 904 guru but I believe your right that it is a lock up 904 and I've read the switch is to unlock the converter when you tap the brakes but don't quote that as gospel.

As I said in my previous post I read that it is to UNLOCK the converter. I'm not a 904 guru but I do know that the lock-up function is hydraulically activated so it only makes sense that the switch is to unlock it.

As I said in my previous post I read that it is to UNLOCK the converter. I'm not a 904 guru but I do know that the lock-up function is hydraulically activated so it only makes sense that the switch is to unlock it.

Yeah I read that and the opposite in other posts.... Guess I'll find out one way or another when I hook it up! :la:

Yeah I read that and the opposite in other posts.... Guess I'll find out one way or another when I hook it up! :la:

Just re-read that thread and as you can see I was involved in it also. When that came up I did some research on it and what I found is what I posted above. There is a lot of mis-information on the web and even in books written so the only way to know for sure is try it. Let me know when you find out as I'd like to know positively.

BTW: Did you click on the link posted by ramcharger in the other thread? It takes you to www.moparchat.com and I see a John Kunkle post echoes what I also read elsewhere and repeated above. Don't know if you know John but he's been around the Mopar community doing torqueflites for quite a long time so he's generally a good source to believe.

If the end of the input shaft that the converter goes on has splines all the way to the tip, it uses a "normal" converter. If the end has a smooth, approx. 1" machines tip, it takes a lock-up converter. That will give you the answer.

You can't interchange the transmissions and converters.

I also have this info: PK4431428 and the converter has a part# and warranty info along with the "flat ring" face. I'm pretty sure the whole setup is a fairly recent reman. I forgot to write the number on the converter down because I was sure it was a lockup but I will research it too.

BTW: Did you click on the link posted by ramcharger in the other thread? It takes you to www.moparchat.com and I see a John Kunkle post echoes what I also read elsewhere and repeated above. Don't know if you know John but he's been around the Mopar community doing torqueflites for quite a long time so he's generally a good source to believe.

I must have missed that link as I was scanning pretty late that night. If John has been there done that I will rest assured. :prayer:

-
Back