Trans Noises!!! That make me go Hmmmm?

-

4mulaSvaliant

Reaction score
ok guys this may take a trans guy or an unfortunately experianced person to answer.
Heres the story see if you can place the problem. By the way I have another trans to put in it but I wanna know what the problem is anyhow.

Ok soI have a 73' 360 mated to a 74' 904, being the idiot kid I was in high school I never ran the kick down linkage (but NEVER had any slipping or problems). I ran this car incredibly hard in HS and took it to the drags every weekend for a few years.
I joined the Navy in 97 and the car sat until this year (being started ocasionally) but never really moved. Except for one possibly detrimental time!
My :tool: foster brother attempted to :angry4: steal my lil Valiant! Though because of the trans leak it didnt have much fluid in it. He was able to get it out of the driveway and then it didnt get any farther. So my guess is, that he (being an obvious idiot) sat in the road while in gear was reving it trying to get it to move. SOOO since that incedent it had not moved until my dad put a lil' fluid in it and put it on the trailer to get it here.
Now comes the discription with the history out of the way.

No slipping when idleing away from the curb.
Slips when in 3rd (drive) and gas is applied.
Slips when in 2nd and rolling 25----> and gas is applied.
When manually placed in first it does not slip as easily.
When in 2nd rolling approx. 20 or so and you mash the gas, it not only slips but is sounds as if a stressed noise is being resonated through the drive shaft. It sounds as if there is a piece of metal dragging against the spinning drive shaft. A sort of ringing.
When it slips it doesnt continue to slip, the trans will eventually catch up with the motor.
So like I said I have a new trans for it :thumbup: and just sold my house so I cant tear it down at the moment. She will be tearing up the streets next summer though!!!!!!!
Anyone have a clue?

I suspect your bands are gone. If I'm right, when you pull the oil pan you'll get a handful of garbage out of it. To be on the safe side though make sure your oil is at the full mark first. The sound you're hearing is usually accompanied by the ka-ching of the cash register. Sorry

terry roth

-
Back