Trans pan gasket..sealer or no sealer?? and other trans ???

-
Bummer Geoff. Sounds like the direct clutch pack is toast, like Trailbeast mentioned.

There could be a problem using a 66 trans. with a 71 engine. The 66 has a smaller converter register. 1.55" vs. 68 and up of 1.81". You can get an adapter ring to take up the difference so maybe someone has put one in when they did the install. Or someone could have installed a newer input shaft to use a newer torque converter. Count the input shaft splines and it their 24 it's a 68 or newer. If their 19 it's a 67 or older.

Hey Fishy, thats puttin' a lot of stock in the ingenuity of people. Although it looks like a decent installation, I highly doubt this was a Mopar savvy person who even knew there was a difference in the torque converters. I'm not saying they didn't, but I would be more willing to bet that they swapped in the later trans from the 71 donor also. Is this possible to hook up to 66 brackets and kickdown??.

A note on the kickdown.. they have the old flapper style mounted to the back of the head, and also a newer style upper bellcrank throttle cable and kickdown mount, but are using the old stuff. I am going to change it to the newer style 3 piece which I have on hand and clean up that mess. I am also going to run the numbers on the trans to see what year it is. I had to put the car in tight in the middle of the garage to pull the 72 Dart parts car in and pull the motor today, so the 66 isn't out in the open right now. Whatever the year of the trans, I have a few extra ones lying around from 66 to 72 so I should be covered. I'll report back on this.

Thanks again for chiming in, I kinda knew it was toast!!! Thats why I spent a couple days and $60.00 bucks on it!!!LOL!!! Geof

Hey Fishy, thats puttin' a lot of stock in the ingenuity of people. Although it looks like a decent installation, I highly doubt this was a Mopar savvy person who even knew there was a difference in the torque converters. I'm not saying they didn't, but I would be more willing to bet that they swapped in the later trans from the 71 donor also. Is this possible to hook up to 66 brackets and kickdown??.

A note on the kickdown.. they have the old flapper style mounted to the back of the head, and also a newer style upper bellcrank throttle cable and kickdown mount, but are using the old stuff. I am going to change it to the newer style 3 piece which I have on hand and clean up that mess. I am also going to run the numbers on the trans to see what year it is. I had to put the car in tight in the middle of the garage to pull the 72 Dart parts car in and pull the motor today, so the 66 isn't out in the open right now. Whatever the year of the trans, I have a few extra ones lying around from 66 to 72 so I should be covered. I'll report back on this.

Thanks again for chiming in, I kinda knew it was toast!!! Thats why I spent a couple days and $60.00 bucks on it!!!LOL!!! Geof

LOL.... Your probably right they didn't know the diff.

Yeah the kickdown/throttle pressure linkage will swap right over from any year.

-
Back