Trans pan RTV or not

-

cudadriver

Reaction score
Going to change my '68 318 auto trans fluid and filter some time this summer. Do I have to use a pan gasket or can I use just rtv sealant? If I don't have to use a gasket is there a clearance issue with the filter or something else in the trans? Thanks

Do not use either one.Go to the mopar dealer and get the reusable neoprene gasket and bolts and filter kit,for either a 727 or a 904,depending on what you have,and never have a leak,mrmopartech

Never use RTV on a auto trans. I don't know what is in ATF but it turns RTV to jelly. The gasket MrMopartech recommended is the best but I have also used the cork/rubber type gasket with great success. Just gotta make sure the pan is good and flat and torque the bolts in steps which you should be doing anytime anyway.

I'll second that Never use silcone on a tranny. Like said it turns to goo and plugs up the tranny.

I always use a CORK gasket and apply a very small amount of weather strip adhesive to hold it in place while installing the pan,has worked for many many years...

Well almost every new trans/transaxle is sealed exclusively with RTV. You can use either the Mopar black RTV or grey. The surfaces must be absolutely oil free and dry for it to work though.

Having said that the older 904/727 and the overdrive derivatives of these transmissions were not designed to use RTV so go to the dealer and buy the reusable gasket.

Thanks guys. I picked up the neoprene gasket this morning. I had an original trans filter still in the original paper envelope but bought a new one because they have now made the new ones about 1 1/2 inches longer. More filter area. Thanks again for the replies from you FABO members. Mike

I second the RIGHT STUFF. I use it for all my gasket need just about. Really good stuff.

Yea,the right stuff syas right on the package that you can use in on trannies.

You would think so. I've heard good things about it but never tried it myself. Usually a straight flange and a good gasket are all thats needed..

-
Back