trans problem , not initially engaging in reverse when cold .

-

moparjon

Reaction score
not sure if this is related to the engine mounts / trans mounts i am about to fix , because they are all bad but , when i start the car ( 1974 valiant /6 auto ) in the morning , and put the gear selector on R nothing happens . if i then go to D it usually engages , then i can go back to R and then it works . or sometimes if i just rev the car a bit in R the first time , it will finally grab . i just got this car and have not done anything yet . but this one worries me . is it the mounts ? or something simple like a clogged filter / gear selector ? could i get that lucky ? or is it something more serious ? thanks

not enough pressure. put it in neutral and give it a rev to build up pressure.

Check fluid level in neutral. Not in park. It's either low on fluid, or you have fluid draining out of the converter when it sits. Putting it in neutral starts pumping the fluid. My Sport Fury does it too. I don't worry about it too much.

rev gear has to have 200 psi or more to get rev to come in. that needs a lot more fluid than a froward gear. and if the filter is clogged it takes a lot longer. it may help to pull the lever to low first and load the circuits to a lower psi first. that works as well when it bangs into rev.

start it in neutral or start it and put it in neutral for a min .

start it in neutral or start it and put it in neutral for a min .

Exactly. Torque converter drainback is a very common problem with torqueflite's when they sit over night. What's happening is you put it in reverse and it doesn't move then by the time you get it in drive the torque converter has filled enough to propel the vehicle. Next time you start it do what Jimmy said and run it in neutral for 30 seconds or so then pop it in reverse (or drive) and I bet it'll pull fine.

-
Back