trans question

-

2 fast z28

Reaction score
ok guys im thinking its trans issues that I got just want to see if anyone else had this problem, I have a 71 dart swinger with a 340 that is fresh 1000 miles on it may be and a 727 trans with the same, now when I first get the car out and drive down the road I feel like the brakes are being applied for a second or two then its releases and it does this for a bit then when cars warm its not there, now Ive been doing some testing to see if its with motor or what ever well if jump on the gas and let the car coast I can still feel it, so I thought the brake may be hanging up in the rear or something checked them out all good, and I also noticed if im cruising and its doing it and if I give it a little more gas it goes away until the speed flattens out so I don't think its a trans issue could it be a torque converter issue any help would be great

oh yeah it is a acc torque converter 3200 stall non lock up and I did buy it used very slightly used I know the guy that had it but it did sit on a shelf for some time had the front snout taped up

2-3 shift bind up, pretty common issue. Does it have a shift it? Did you install the orifice plug?

yeah I have a Fairbanks shift kit in it bought from patc did the street setup on it not sure what orifice your talking about

im almost positive that I did the orifice plug now that I looked at that link so if this is what my tranny is doing if I manual shift it then it shouldn't do this if I keep it in second gear right ?

The problem is in the choreography of the 2-3 shift, the release of the front band, and the engagement of the direct, 3rd gear clutch pack.

What needs to happen is your 3rd gear needs to come on later, and your front band needs to let up earlier. This happens by loosening your band, and installing a plug with a smaller feed hole; or a combination there of, try loosening your band a little. Just don't beat on it, that never helps.

WTF?
He never mentioned anything about a shift man.
Might want to slow down and read what people post before you decide what a problem coud be.

Here's his question.

"ok guys im thinking its trans issues that I got just want to see if anyone else had this problem, I have a 71 dart swinger with a 340 that is fresh 1000 miles on it may be and a 727 trans with the same, now when I first get the car out and drive down the road I feel like the brakes are being applied for a second or two then its releases and it does this for a bit then when cars warm its not there, now Ive been doing some testing to see if its with motor or what ever well if jump on the gas and let the car coast I can still feel it, so I thought the brake may be hanging up in the rear or something checked them out all good, and I also noticed if im cruising and its doing it and if I give it a little more gas it goes away until the speed flattens out so I don't think its a trans issue could it be a torque converter issue any help would be great"

The first thing to do is chk the fluid for darkening or burning, as if it is dragging something it will/should smell from it.
If it does then there would have to be a crossover leak in the hydraulics to cause two things to be engaged at the same time (even a little to cause drag)
The fact that is heat related could mean that the fluid viscosity has something to do with it (like enough of a crossover leak that thicker fluid cannot get out quick enough to keep something from partially engaging) like a possible broken or worn accumulator sealing ring, or something along those lines.

A pressure check of the different functions would be a must here to make sure there is no pressures in places thier shouldn't be.
This should also eliminate the possibility of it being the trans and you could rest better about that part at least until it gets figured out.

The second thing I would do is to pull a plug and see if it's running lean to the extreme. (this can feel like the brakes are on when driving down the road under cruise conditions)
You say it goes away when you give it more throttle, right?
But comes back at light cruise, right?
Check those plugs.

If it does this as it shifts from one gear to another you need to tell us that, but that isn't what was said.

Ok internet tough guy, how about this:

well it would be in third cruising it doesn't matter if im going 30 or 60 mph

I know your the man in your mind when it comes to transmission and all, but your people skills are lacking. Sure makes me feel welcome. No need to be a jerk, your acting like I stepped on your d*ck or something, get over yourself.

Ok internet tough guy, how about this:

I know your the man in your mind when it comes to transmission and all, but your people skills are lacking. Sure makes me feel welcome. No need to be a jerk, your acting like I stepped on your d*ck or something, get over yourself.

Sorry, but that was twice in 20 min that you told someone something that would only serve to keep them busy, and not fix a thing.

Shrouds don't do a damn thing on the freeway like you told one guy to do to possibly solve his freeway temps climbing, and now you go on about the shift bindup when shifts were never mentioned at all (only a dragging sensation at cruise when cold only)
(HOT fluid would make a 2-3 bindup worse not better due to it flowing faster from a lower viscosity)

I don't pretend to know all about transmissions and I have said that, or be an internet "tough guy"
But if we were all standing around having a beer and someone said a shroud would help on the freeway or a 2-3 shift bind is what makes his car feel like the brakes are on at light throttle cruise I would still say BULLSHIT.

BTW, I have certs from ASE and ATRA both as well built them service managed and diagnostic test drove for trans problems for decades, so it's not like I'm a newb at it.
Just don't remember a lot of it.
But I don't tell people total BS either, so get off of it.

I will apologize for letting it get to me so much though, and dragging it out in the open like I did.
I am sorry I jumped on you so hard about it.

I know you give better advice than this normally, and it just seemed like you were not reading the posts very well.

Nah, I'm not calling him anything, flaming this dudes thread is wrong. Being right is important to you and crucifying me is even more important, keep the change, I'm out.

Whatever

Sending him down the wrong diagnostic road is a lot more wrong.

-
Back