Trans Seal, A big Deal ?

-

pilotsf

Reaction score
Hey guys
I'm back for some help. It looks like my trans is leaking a little out of the rubber boot or ring at the end of my trans where the drive shaft goes in. The trans is only two years old and it never leaked. I changed u joints and drag raced hard and now drips and you can see on exhaust and pink drip in photo.
Is it easy to fix and remove or do I need special tools. I have shop manual and they say remove and replace (?).
PLEASE HELP
I attached pic

Remove the drive shaft and pry the seal out. The typical replacement seal is short (no big rubber boot sticking out) but you should be able to get the original style.

However, if the tranny shop didn't replace the bushing in the tail shaft when they rebuilt it the new seal will likely start to leak too. The drive shaft yoke slips into the bushing.

Remove the drive shaft and pry the seal out. The typical replacement seal is short (no big rubber boot sticking out) but you should be able to get the original style.

However, if the tranny shop didn't replace the bushing in the tail shaft when they rebuilt it the new seal will likely start to leak too. The drive shaft yoke slips into the bushing.

thanks ! i couldn't find the leak at the boot but i thought it got stretched out. The bushing in the tail shaft, is that easy too ?
thanks again.

You'd have to remove the tail shaft housing and seal. It's certainly doable by most anyone comfortable turning wrenches but "easy" is a relative term. :)

You'd have to remove the tail shaft housing and seal. It's certainly doable by most anyone comfortable turning wrenches but "easy" is a relative term. :)

So I changed the seal and its still leaking... I have bushing but it looked good. One trans guy locally said the yoke could be bad. So If I change the bushing and seal what next ? Please any info is welcome. Im doing both in the am.
thanks

Between the yoke and the bushing my money would be on the bushing. If you see grooves on the yoke and it's sloppy on the output shaft after the new bushing is in place - then maybe.

You're absolutely sure the leak is coming from the rear seal? Fluid will take the path of least resistance and arrive at the lowest point.

Between the yoke and the bushing my money would be on the bushing. If you see grooves on the yoke and it's sloppy on the output shaft after the new bushing is in place - then maybe.

You're absolutely sure the leak is coming from the rear seal? Fluid will take the path of least resistance and arrive at the lowest point.

Yep Its leaking right out of the new seal. I have another new seal ready but no one can get the bushing ordered for 904. Its been a major 3 day deal for a little leak. I have a new yoke on stand by but mine looks good. My trans guy told me today that he may have to take the extention housing off to get bushing out. MAN ! What about just packing a crap load of grease where the bushing is

I have the same problem, 2 new seals and a new bushing it still leaks. My car originally had a 7 1/4 rearend which was removed for an 8 3/4, i was wondering if it could be the pinion angle or if the driveshaft was too short??

I have the same problem, 2 new seals and a new bushing it still leaks. My car originally had a 7 1/4 rearend which was removed for an 8 3/4, i was wondering if it could be the pinion angle or if the driveshaft was too short??

Same set up. I had a 7 1/4 to 8 3/4 however it never really leaked to bad or at all. Now It is. I have not changed the busing yet. The do make longer yokes to fix the problem. I might just pack it with major grease in the busing and new seal call it a day.

Packing it with grease won't fix your problem and the tail shaft housing will have to be removed to replace the bushing. With the suspension loaded your drive shaft should extend out of the OEM style seal about 3/4".

Just checked mine and it is pretty close to 3/4". Anyone out there have any idea? When I took the tailshaft housing to the trans. shop they said the bushing looked good had it
replaced anyway still leaks, getting worse!?

-
Back