Trans swap

-

whitey

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how difficult would it be to swap out a 727 for a 518 in a Dart? And are the valve bodies interchangeable? I have a 727 done with a TF2 kit installed, and I have a line on an OD trans from a Dakota.

I dont know all the ins and outs of this swap, but in general what I understand is you need to modify the floor hump to allow the larger tail shaft of the OD trans. Dont know much more than that. Depends on the year car as well. 67 and up will be easier than 67 and older.

You will have to do major surgery on the trans. tunnel to make the 518 fit in the Dart. I'm not sure but you may even have to modify your crossmember to make it fit. Also figure on having the driveshaft shortened. The 518's OD unit is huge in comparison to the tailshaft on a 727. The valve body is not interchangeable. Not even close.

518's have been installed in A-body cars but it's not for the faint hearted. You better be ready for a major project.

Eh...the 727's already done, I'll just use that. I thought that this would be better on the engine and at the pump (not reving so high)

-
Back