Trans throttle linkage nightmare, with pics

-

TylerW

Reaction score
Guys:

I am ready to pull my hair out. I wasted most of a day attempting to assemble a workable throttle pressure linkage from the parts I have and I think I am going backwards.

This is a 1973 Dart Sport with a 318, A904 w/ console shift. 1968-9 340 intake with an Edelbrock 600 carb.

I understand how it works, so that's not a problem. I have the Mopar factory manual, so that's not a problem either.

What IS a problem is that I can't identify the parts I am using. I've posted some pictures here to help illustrate what's going on, so let's look at those:

In the first picture, you see the throttle bracket of unknown origin. It clearly isn't the correct 4bbl bracket.

In the second picture, you see the same thing except a wider view which shows the the upper rod in it's correct closed throttle position. However, notice how vertical the pivot point for the mid-rod is. The throttle pivot at the bracket is being pulled too far forward.

All the upper rods I have are the same exact length and none are adjustable.

In the third picture, you see the bottom pivot with the trans arm pushed all the way rearward(WOT). Here again is another conflict: The lower pivot is too far rearward and the mid-rod would never attach in that position and in fact never allows the trans arm to move that far back.

I am 99 percent sure that is the adjustable lower rod that I just removed off a '74 Valiant a few months back, and I thought it would be at least usable here.

In the last picture is the last mystery:

On the left, you see a bottom pivot that is narrow, and uses a bottom rod that is not adjustable. It goes in the trans arm and is retained by one of those clips that goes along the rod itself, not a cotter key.

On the right, you see the wider version, which is identical to what's on the car now.

So, hopefully all this junk can be identified and I can understand what I have, what will work, what won't. I've searched till my head spins and it seems like everyone has some different setup.

I'm all for buying a correct 4bbl throttle bracket. Somebody said Mancini sells them but I couldn't find it. Any concrete info about "You have a '73 4-bbl smallblock A904 car and you have to use THIS bracket, THIS midrod, THIS lower pivot and THIS bottom rod" would be greatly appreciated:supz:

Thanks.

Just went through all of this with my '70 318 changing out the Manifold and carb but mine has the adjustable carburetor rod and the adjustable intermediate rod from the manifold bracket down to the first trans linkage. I'm not familiar with the non-adjustable ones. What does the '73 manual show for parts? Are they solid rods?

Looks like a nut missing on a bell housing stud?

Flip this over.
The lever on the trans should be all the way forward instead of back like it is

Attachments

• linkage.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 264
  • KDlinkage.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 249
Ha ha! I just brought my '74 manual in the from the garage and was looking at that. Figured I ought to refresh the page before posting. All adjustments are done down below on these so the nonadjustable rods are all correct.

Mine has a length adjusting sleeve on the rod that goes from the bell housing bracket up to the pivot linkage on the back of the manifold, but not all do.

Yes, the adjustments are made at the carb and that slotted rod, and down on the trans lever at that block where the rod goes through.

Thanks so much for all the help so far guys. I looked at that lower lever more than once and thought it couldn't be on there right, but by that time I was getting hungry and losing patience.

The '74 Valiant that I removed the entire linkage from was just like in the FSM...solid rods top and mid, then the adjustable part at bottom.

Can anyone I.D. that throttle lever in the first pic, before I buy another one? I can modify it to hold the throttle cable down, but if it's something that won't ever work then I'll have to do something else.

Thanks again.

Can anyone I.D. that throttle lever in the first pic, before I buy another one? I can modify it to hold the throttle cable down, but if it's something that won't ever work then I'll have to do something else.

You mean the bracket? It looks correct to me for your application.

It looks like mine. 74 Dart Sport 318/904.

Attachments

• rod.JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 236
  • bracket.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 231
  • bracket2.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 250
^^^ It is correct^^^^
You're just missing the clamp piece and the nut as shown in Bad Sport's middle photo.

-
Back