Trans Tunnel Modifications?

-

Overdrive

Entropy User
Reaction score
I am looking at installing a Lakewood safety bell housing in my '65 Valiant, but from what I've read so far, they don't fit too well, needing hammering of the tunnel, and even after all that it's still very tight.

Has anybody replaced the front part of the transmission tunnel with the same part from a 67-76 A-body? I can see that taking room away from the gas pedal location, so I'm not 100% sure I should go that route.

My Valiant is a 273, 904 car, and I've almost collected most of the parts to go with a 4-speed. How similar are the 4-speed humps for the early A-bodies compared to the later ones?

they're reasonably close. I've got a '74 Dart hump in my '63 and it lined up pretty well. there is about a half inch gap at the back where the later trans tunnel is a bigger diameter but this could easily be hammered closed and welded up - and one day i might even get round to doing that on mine...

as far as gas pedal clearance, it's quite tight but a stock pedal could still be used. I've got a Chevy Astro pedal on mine because the '63 has a different firewall to the later cars and the V8 pedal setup doesn't fit

-
Back