Trans Vent?

-

mopowers

Reaction score
Would a sintered bronze vent be too restrictive to be used as a transmission vent?

upload_2020-3-14_12-6-48.jpeg

Last edited:
Auto. I'm relocating the vent and happen to have an 1/8" npt sintered bronze vent on hand.

Try it and see. It it blows all the seals out you'll know it was too much restriction. I'm not bein smart, just tellin you what'll happen if it's too much restriction. Why take a chance?

Try it and see. It it blows all the seals out you'll know it was too much restriction. I'm not bein smart, just tellin you what'll happen if it's too much restriction. Why take a chance?

I just tried a little experiment. I found a vent for an 8-3/4 rearend, and when I blew through it, it has about as much restriction as the 1/8 npt bronze vent, and it's quite a bit bigger. After that test - albeit, completely non-scientific - I'm pretty confident the bronze vent will be fine. It doesn't take much to relieve pressure in a closed system.

When the time comes, I'll probably end up running a catch can anyway, so it'll probably be a moot point.

I just tried a little experiment. I found a vent for an 8-3/4 rearend, and when I blew through it, it has about as much restriction as the 1/8 npt bronze vent, and it's quite a bit bigger. After that test - albeit, completely non-scientific - I'm pretty confident the bronze vent will be fine. It doesn't take much to relieve pressure in a closed system.

When the time comes, I'll probably end up running a catch can anyway, so it'll probably be a moot point.

Well try it out and let us know. It might work. But since I don't KNOW, I am not going to give you some advice that may lead to something bad happening.

They can clog up over time but depending on where you put it it could stay clean for a long time, I have one on the rear end of my hydrostatic drive on my tractor and it is original 1971 I changed all the fluids about 4 years ago and it was still clear.

If your relocating it to the tailshaft be aware that the governor assy will probably throw fluid out of the vent. That mod is generally only used in race apps where you remove the governor assy. Are you having a problem with tossing fluid under hard braking? If not I'd leave it where it is

If your relocating it to the tailshaft be aware that the governor assy will probably throw fluid out of the vent. That mod is generally only used in race apps where you remove the governor assy. Are you having a problem with tossing fluid under hard braking? If not I'd leave it where it is

Thanks! Car isn't built yet, but the relocation was recommended by Rick at A&A and several others. It won't have a governor.

clogging up with what? does a transmission have much blowby or pan pressure or ? similar to a rear, u want it vented, but I don't need a vacuum system

It would just blow fluid out the dipstick tube if it clogged. I usually see them vented over the rear band.

someone said a restrictive vent would blow seals . some local circle track cars leave the trans dipstick out, and run a hose from the tube to a catch can, cuz they overfill

-
Back