Trans wont kickdown

-

js1023

Reaction score
Hello everybody, I just recently did a rebuild on the motor and I put everything together and all runs smooth. The auto trans shifts through the gears just fine when in drive, and works well in all other gears. It jus has a problem when you are going to about 45 and step on it to kick down it just keeps reving up and goes faster but never down shifts n shifts back up.

I have a kick down linkage (non-cable) and i have adjusted the linkage all the way forward and all the way back and even in the middle and it doesn't make a difference. Does anybody have any suggestions for me?

thanks for all the help and suggestions

The adjustment should make a difference one way or the other. Make sure it's connected at the transmission (not just floating free). Also make sure the linkage didn't get bent. At wide open throttle the linkage should push the trans. lever all the way back or close to all the way. Also check to make sure your gas pedal is opening the carb all the way. If it's not opening all the way you won't have kickdown. If all looks ok from what you can see by yourself get a buddy to help you and crawl under the car and check to make sure it's pushing the lever all the way back when he pushes the gas pedal all the way down. Engine shut off of course, LOL

-
Back