Transgo Shift Kit Question, 727 Notch?

-

fourstrokin

Reaction score
Hi all. General curiosity question here.... Just popped a Transgo shift kit in the 727 I have in the old Dodge. Tried searching around with no luck and am just curious what the notch you file into the valve body does? The kit was an easy install and the filing was easy and it's apparent Transgo has done their homework. I understand the concept of modifying the pressures with larger holes, valve changes and spring tensions, but can't come up with a theory for the notch. Any of you smart guys out there please feel free to educate me. Even though this forum doesn't apply to my make and model, I love all the drive-train tech I can find here and spend way more time here than anywhere else. Thanks!

as i am NOT a trans expert. i have done 2-3 of those kits. but that was a long time ago. so ill do some guessing. if the instructions did not give you a very specif demintion ill say the the notch was to vent some oil for some reason. to unload some spool or servo. if you can get a diagram of the valve body and match the notch that will show you more info. did that kit make the cooler oil go throu the oil cooler in "P"? that is the real trick. one kit i did gave the 1-2 to shift TO hard. and after 80,00 miles the 7 1/4 spider gears go out. here is an EXTERNAL filter i found. its a cut and paste sorry. the old auto zone 2210 magenfine filter is no longer available at auto zone. BUT i did find the same thing as JX-160 brand-- ATP. at a real parts house uses 3/8" tube. a JX-150 for 5/16 tube. And NAPA 18721. ONLY use high pressure hose. If you must. SAE J1019 217 psi working. NOT fuel hose for a carb engine.

as i am NOT a trans expert. i have done 2-3 of those kits. but that was a long time ago. so ill do some guessing. if the instructions did not give you a very specif demintion ill say the the notch was to vent some oil for some reason. to unload some spool or servo. if you can get a diagram of the valve body and match the notch that will show you more info. did that kit make the cooler oil go throu the oil cooler in "P"? that is the real trick. one kit i did gave the 1-2 to shift TO hard. and after 80,00 miles the 7 1/4 spider gears go out. here is an EXTERNAL filter i found. its a cut and paste sorry. the old auto zone 2210 magenfine filter is no longer available at auto zone. BUT i did find the same thing as JX-160 brand-- ATP. at a real parts house uses 3/8" tube. a JX-150 for 5/16 tube. And NAPA 18721. ONLY use high pressure hose. If you must. SAE J1019 217 psi working. NOT fuel hose for a carb engine.

I do remember this being the case, but I'll look it up to be sure. BRB

The holes being drilled is for flow volume (to get clutches and bands to apply quicker)

Here ya go, the picture and description come from the Cuda website.

"This is what the "notch" does,prevents a pressure build up in the drive position due to the added land on the special manual valve in the kit that would slightly drag the reverse band."

Pretty sure the Transgo kit does have the modded manual valve so that the fluid circulates in Park.
Fluid level can be checked in Park after this.

Attachments

• vb.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 310
You'll toast the reverse band very quickly if you don't notch it at all, and use the kit's manual valve. Just FYI.

No worries Fred. I installed the kit to the letter but was curious from an engineering point of view. Thanks!

-
Back