Transgo shift kit

-

pjc360

Reaction score
what transgo shift kit would be best for the A-518 automatic transmission? keep in mind its in a 4x4 half ton short bed truck. I just found out the shift kit i have is the jr. and i was told its lame and the transmission shop who re-built my transmission just had to put another converter on it and they told me that they modifyed some things in my transmission and that they set it up to shift a little firmer then stock, he said what you already have is just as good as what that transgo jr shift kit will give ya.
And the builder of my transmission told me he has never really been impressed with any of the shift kits and that he can do work on the transmission to make it shift just as good as a shift kit without having to put one in? is he blowing smoke up my bumb or does he not want me to put a shift kit in this transmission? i kind of want them to install it incase it burns up my transmission or screws something up and then have them say well we are not warrantying it because you added a shift kit.
He said we can install a shift kit for around 150 to 200 bucks and i said and i can bring you the shift kit? and he said it dpends on wich one, and i said a transgo of some kind that will still keep it automatic but just give it a little firmer shifts and he said yes for 150 to 200 they'd install it.
He made it sound like he did not want to install a full manual valvle body type shift kit... cause he said it depends on wich kit? ether way i think i will have them do it so they cant refuse me warranty work later down the road incase something happend to it. smart idea? i thought it was.....

I would almost say a Transgo stage 1. A stage 2 is more aggressive shifts. I under stand its a 4x4 but what is the truck used for?

i use it to go hunting qith in the fall and winter so im in rough terrian quite a bit and snow as well, i also use it to drive around as my daily driver, just drive it to work and back and the occasional trip the stores and what not, i pretty much use it for everything basically.
The owner of the transmission shop told me they did a few mods to the transmission to make it shift firmer and better and it does shift pretty good, i have been told a shift kit will maximize the transmissions life as well. keep it running cooler and such.

it also has a fiarly good sized transmission fluid cooler? the lines run into the cooler and back to the transmission, the cooler is mounted on the outside of my radiator, i was told having a cooler helps maxamize the life of the transmission as well?

-
Back