TransGo TF-SC kit questions

-

gliderider06

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
I currently have in my car a 727 (1975yr) that has a Shift technologies, Shift correction kit. It works ok, but I dont like the way it kicks down and the short hold on first gear.
I have a (1977) 727 that I borrowed the VB from and put the transgo kit into it. Now the directions say to put the PR adjust screw flush with the retainer. If I put a 1/8" or so space between the retainer and adjusting screw, it will give me more line pressure, Correct, or should I leave it flush and that be enough pressure?
The (77) VB, the kickdown lever pushes the KD valve in much sooner than the current VB (75) that is in the trans now, which is partially the reason for changing. Do you think I should just adjust the pressure higher on the (75) VB or continue on with my plan of changing?
I also have the Mopar Performance shift improver kit, which contains the servo's, springs and sleeve. I had also thought about putting it in while I have the trans apart. The directions on it says to adjust the PR adjustor screw to have almost no threads remaining, which kinda brings me to the first question of leaving some space on the TransGo kit?
I hope I did not confuse everyone too much.

That keeper adjustment is the least important adjustment in a torqueflite. 1/8"-3/16 is the word. The linkage makes up the difference. If you really want kick-down, don't chop so much off the TV valve, maybe a 1/16" enough to take the point off. If you take off too much like the instructions say it will have a short, or no kick-down. Ask me how I know. Go ahead, as me. :D

What is it that you don't like about the kickdown? None of the kits you mentioned will raise the 1-2 shift rpm much if any. Shift improver kits generally don't do that. They improve the quality of the shift only. My guess is the reason it shifts too soon is either the throttle valve had been ground down like many shift kits say to do (what Poison mentioned above) or the 1-2 shift spring in the valve body is weak (happens from heat and age)

As for the PR valve with an upgraded spring (you didn't mention if the TF-SC kit called for changing that spring), for any street car it's fine adjusted all the way against the retainer. If it's a stock spring you crank it down 3-4 turns. Avoid using the Mopar perf kits. I haven't had good luck with them. And never mix and match pieces from one kit to another or install 2 kits. Your asking for major trouble if you do that unless your a torqueflite guru and know exactly what every part does and if there are others it may interact with.

The kickdown on the current VB is set wide open when it is only getting between 3/4-7/8 throttle opening, at the carb, MAX. Without it being set this way, it will shift 1-2 about 5mph and 2-3 about 20mph and will not go into passing gear at all. with it set the way I have it, it will hold 1-2 about 10mph and will go 2-3 about 25mph. The KD lever at the trans has close to half the play at the arm before it will start to push on the valve. I do have a 3 piece kickdown linkage on the car.
Now with the Transgo kit I did put in the spacer, spring and the 2 new springs on the PR valve, tht was supplied in the kit. I did as the instructions called for with drilling the holes in the plate for the firmest shifts. I do also notice that there is much less free play with the newer VB, for the KB lever, than the one currently still in the car. I just don't want these soft, mushy, early shifts with poor kickdown, and was thinking that more line pressure may help.

I hate the automatic early soft shifts too, they come with big gears and lots of power, they just overload that poor stock govenor. Unless you invest in a govenor kit, and even then it's a crap shoot; your better off shifting manual, don't take so much off the TV valve, go with one kit. That's my .02.

Thanks Poison... I am going only with the Transgo kit installed in the later VB. I did not grind down any of the TV valve at all. I want as much KD movement that I can get. Do you think 1/8" space is cool, or go flush with the retainer plate? I'm thinking leave some space.

Thanks Poison... I am going only with the Transgo kit installed in the later VB. I did not grind down any of the TV valve at all. I want as much KD movement that I can get. Do you think 1/8" space is cool, or go flush with the retainer plate? I'm thinking leave some space.

Yeah 1/8 drill bit is good. 3/16 is fine too. Whatever is easier.

Shown below:

Kickdown rod pulled far enough out to make detent washer/plug/shroud flush with valve body, then measure your distance.

DSCF1617.jpg

There are several possibilities that can cause what your experiencing.

Are the carb and linkage setup all factory pieces? If not that can throw the ratio off between the carb and throttle pressure (kickdown) lever on the trans.

It's also possible that sometime in the past someone has installed a longer kickdown lever than what should be on it.

And lastly the 1-2 and 2-3 shift valve springs are just old and have lost tension allowing it to shift sooner.

A simple mod you can make is to drill a new hole in the kickdown lever down on the trans just inboard of the one that's there. That'll cause the kickdown lever to move quicker than the throttle so it'll let you adjust the throttle linkage to max and more pressure on the kickdown to give you delayed and firmer low speed shifts like you prefer.

-
Back