Transmission capacity for 904 trans

-

69dartwant

Reaction score
Just dropped the automatic transmission oil out of my 1970 Dart 225 6 cylinder that has the original trans in it. First of all, am I correct in saying that it is a 904 Transmission? That said, without emptying the converter, how many quarts does it need to refill after installing new filter, gasket, pan, etc.? And what is the correct procedure in filling as I am double checking my memory from way too many years since I've done a transmission filter change? Thanks guys!!!!!

Yes 904. I don't know the capacity, but if you go on over to mymopar.com you can download the factory service manual and have reams of information right at your fingertips.
Just curious, why wouldn't you go ahead and drain the converter if you are already under there and dirty etc. etc.?

EDIT: Looks like 6.5 pints for pan only, 15.5 if doing trans AND converter. That's looking at 1969. Of course, double check before you drive it anywhere.

Last edited:
I am messing (pun intended) with that as I speak. I just put a new oil pan on mine that takes about 1/2 more than before and I am putting in around 2.75 gallons and then add to top it off with the dipstick.

-
Back