Transmission casing

-

B-onefan

Reaction score
I have a 64-65 cable shift v-8 904 transmission that has a broke bell housing. I have the pieces that broke out. What are the chances this can be welded back together and hold? It will be behind a stock 273 or 318. The trans was good before this happened. What do you think?

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 120
  • 004.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 118
  • 005.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 126
  • 006.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 125
  • 019.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 105
I have a 64-65 cable shift v-8 904 transmission that has a broke bell housing. I have the pieces that broke out. What are the chances this can be welded back together and hold? It will be behind a stock 273 or 318. The trans was good before this happened. What do you think?

Would think a good welder could heliarc or tig weld it

Had a case welded for a honda 750 that had thrown the chain and cracked the case

It can be done, but the hard part is going to be getting the bolt ear back in the right place without it being on the motor when they weld it.

It can be done, but the hard part is going to be getting the bolt ear back in the right place without it being on the motor when they weld it.

I thought about putting the pieces back in place, then bolting it to a bare block when welding, then removing and completing the weld on the inside.

I thought about putting the pieces back in place, then bolting it to a bare block when welding, then removing and completing the weld on the inside.

Wouldn't be a bad idea at all if you have the stuff to do it.

It would be tricky to weld the bolt hole area without the weld bead interfering with the bolt hole. Then to try to redrill it out would not be easy.

The weld bead will also be tricky around the front face of the transmission that bolts to the block.

If you can find a good welder or are good enough to do it yourself it's worth a try.

It would be tricky to weld the bolt hole area without the weld bead interfering with the bolt hole. Then to try to redrill it out would not be easy.

The weld bead will also be tricky around the front face of the transmission that bolts to the block.

If you can find a good welder or are good enough to do it yourself it's worth a try.

It's going to take some specialty grinding and surfacing, that's for sure.
Probably easier than finding another case like that though.

That's the problem. If it was a /6, no problem, but has to be a small block 64-65 case because of the cable shift.

I have one in my "stash" from an original 45,000 mile 273 car.

-
Back