Transmission choice

-

Canadian Cuda

Reaction score
I am planning on installing a 5.7 hemi into my 67 cuda, got the factory transmission with the 08 truck hemi but having second thoughts on using that engine/transmission combination. Looking at other options and was on the gear vendor’s site. I have the 904 that came in the car which I had rebuilt when I was going to restore the car to original. Is the 904 a strong enough transmission to mate it up with the 5.7?

I am also thinking of the gear vendors over/under drive option but one of the reasons I am not going to use the truck transmission is that I really do not want to modify the floor or cut the cross member out from the floor. Has any one put a gear vendor in a 67 and up A body and is there floor modification necessary to complete the install?

Thanks in advance for any info.

I know a 727 will bolt up to them without a problem and gear venders is the way to go but you should be able to bolt a sb 904 without a problem, I'd have that 904 built before I used it but that's just me

I go with a 727 SB - With mopar felxplate - so I dont need the spacer. It´s a direct fit. Nice project - 67 barracuda coupé 6,1Hemi/727/8 3/4.. B)

No build thread but yes that what my car will look like

I go with a 727 SB - With mopar felxplate - so I dont need the spacer. It´s a direct fit. Nice project - 67 barracuda coupé 6,1Hemi/727/8 3/4.. B)

yeah imo it's the easiest thing to do for the swap very straight forward saves on the heavy duty surgery

If using a 727 transmission do I have to take out the rear crank bushing? In earlier truck blocks they didn't have them but most 06 and up block do. I was planning on using a 6.1 engine anyways so I'm almost positive it has one.

Then do I just use a SB 727 torque convertor?

If using a 727 transmission do I have to take out the rear crank bushing? In earlier truck blocks they didn't have them but most 06 and up block do. I was planning on using a 6.1 engine anyways so I'm almost positive it has one.

Then do I just use a SB 727 torque convertor?

Yes - the bushing have to go. I grinded mine and pulled it out of the crank. I´m using a 2600 stall 727 converter, and it´s plugandplay now. I just had to grind two small tabs off, on the left side of the engine block, to make clearence between the starter and the block.

Yes - the bushing have to go. I grinded mine and pulled it out of the crank. I´m using a 2600 stall 727 converter, and it´s plugandplay now. I just had to grind two small tabs off, on the left side of the engine block, to make clearence between the starter and the block.

Can I just use my mini starter that I was going to use with the 360 and 727?

I have a 2005 car motor, will mine have the bushing? Do you have any before/after pics for us to compare? Just curious...

JOE

You might be onto something.

I have a friend that I went to school with in which owns a transmission shop. I was in there one day and there was a 545RFE trans there on the table with some serious problems. He explained to me that this trans uses a different way of changing gears as others. It produces so much pressure in the "valve body" that it blew the end cap off. It was serious. He does not like this transmission at all!

You might find this interesting. I'm not completely sure what trans you have however.

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=320177

You might be onto something.

I have a friend that I went to school with in which owns a transmission shop. I was in there one day and there was a 545RFE trans there on the table with some serious problems. He explained to me that this trans uses a different way of changing gears as others. It produces so much pressure in the "valve body" that it blew the end cap off. It was serious. He does not like this transmission at all!

You might find this interesting. I'm not completely sure what trans you have however.

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=320177

One example does not make all of them bad. I had a 545RFE in my dakota for 7 years and never had an ounce of trouble with it. I'm sure there are plenty of blown up 727's out there...

I agree with Tin. I'm planning to use the 545RFE. If it can handle a 6000+ lb truck and towing I think it will live in my 3500 lb duster without issue. The most common issue I have read about is weakness in the downshift to 2nd prime when passing. This can be avoided by using a tuner.
If it gives any issue I will upgrade it just like I would have to do with a 904 or 727 to reliably handle the power.

-
Back