transmission cooler and rear transmission seal

-

moparmade43

Reaction score
Hello, I am putting a PTC 9.5 inch converter, 3500 stall behind my 416 stroker. My question is in regard to keeping the transmission cool and happy on the street. This is only a street car. I am getting the summit brand deep aluminum pan already, but can any of you recommend a GOOD transmission cooler for me. I've got a trans temperature gauge installed also, so I can keep an eye on it. There are so many to choose from I don't even know where to start. Have any of you had any good experiences with a certain one? Or is a certain one junk? let me know, thanks.

Also, on a small side note, How do you get the rear seal and bushing out of the tailshaft? Do you have to have a special tool? Mine is leaking and while I have the tranny out I wanna replace it. Thanks

Will

I would just install the temp guage and drive it for awhile and see how it does. The deep pan + a cooler will probably be overkill, er uh, over"cool."

I would definetly run a tranny cooler, it can never be too cool, especially with a high stall converter. Your trans fluid will last longer, better shifts, overall, better for your trans. I think most brands will work fine, B&M makes good ones. You can find good ones at your local auto parts store. I got a truck/rv one for my 74 Satellite, it is a bigger one. Be sure to check how they mount, some have brackets and hardware, some have plain old plastic straps that attach to your radiator.

If you ever find a Aspen/Volare or Dippy cop cars at a junk yard, they usually have an excellent tranny cooler on them. If you get really lucky, they will also have an oil cooler too. Snatch them all up. The oil cooler gets oil from where the sender usually mounts. The line runs along the firewall to fender strut and into a 3 hole block. One hole for a sender for the oil pressure gauge, one hole for the sender for the oil pressure warning light and one for the line running to the cooler. The oil returns out of the cooler thru a line that ends at a rear bolt for the fuel pump. The bolt is hollow (like a brake hose at the caliper) and the oil dumps right into the pan.

-
Back