transmission cooler hose size

-

jeffs67dart

Reaction score
I have a 67 dart with a 360/380 hp crate engine with a 904 with a 3000 stall converter and it has a reverse manual valve body, I'm going to use this car for mostly cruising but occasionally take it to the track. it has a trans cooler in the trans but I'm going to run a external cooler in series with the cooler in the radiator. my question is can I use 1/4 inch hose with an fittings? the reason I want to is I have I/4 inch hydralic hose and fittings already. I know I should use 5/16 inch but just wondering if 1/4 inch would be enough I am also running a deep aluminum pan.

the original 5/16 steel lines are probably close to 1/4 ID be careful, tho. some types of "number four" hose is actually undersized from 1/4. so called single braid aeroquip is like this

For this type below, "no 4" hose is actually 3/16

wh069specs.gif

From the factory the adapter fitting that connects the trans to the cooler lines only has a .215 i.d. so using true 1/4" i.d. hose should not restrict it more than the factory fittings did, but I always drill the factory fittings out as much as possible so they don't restrict flow as much. I know you already have the hose but keep this in mind, heat is the #1 enemy of a automatic transmission. IMO I'd spring for 5/16" hose as that is a whole bunch cheaper than rebuilding a transmission

thank you for all your help. I do think I will buy the 5/16 line because the fitting that goes into the 1/4 hose is small compared to the 5/16 line, the inside diameter of the hose looks about the same but the fittings is where the restriction will be. I'd rather be safe then sorry. thanks again.

thank you for all your help. I do think I will buy the 5/16 line because the fitting that goes into the 1/4 hose is small compared to the 5/16 line, the inside diameter of the hose looks about the same but the fittings is where the restriction will be. I'd rather be safe then sorry. thanks again.

I forgot about the AN fitting i.d. but I'm sure your right about them being smaller than the hose. Probably in the end 5/16 hose fittings are barely over 1/4 i.d.... Glad to help

-
Back