Transmission cooler question

-

1968340S

Reaction score
I'm going to reinstall a trans. cooler in 68 Barracuda. The previous owner had mounted the cooler on the front side of the radiator behind the front grill. The existing trans. lines were cut to connect the hoses to the cooler. The cut/connection was down around the base of the radiator. Anyways the hoses were zip tied to the bottom of the radiator panel than ran through some holes in the panel to cooler with some micky mouse metal straps for the mount.

Looks bad and wonder is there any kind of hose/mounting kit or do I just do my own fabrication or change the location.

The existing cooler is 11"x 7"

Chris
Nor Cal

I would make your own. As shown below we ran the lines up to the rad. but you could just make them longer.

fan004.jpg

I know of no universal kit made that'll allow a bolt-in cooler. I also have a 68 Cuda and installed a trans. cooler. You probably already know this but there's not much room for any extra add-on's in the front area so it'll be tight and you'll just have to fab up brackets like I did to mount it from. I also had to cut one original cooler line and that's where I ran the hoses to the extra cooler. I drilled a 1-1/2" hole in the radiator support and installed a grommet to run the hoses through. That was much nicer looking than running them out the bottom then back up to the cooler.

Ya you are right about the area to mount the cooler not much room. After I fabricate the bracket mounts for the cooler I would like to use some of the existing holes in the radiator panel to run the lines. Also going to try metal tubing first. See what happens

I'm going to reinstall a trans. cooler in 68 Barracuda. The previous owner had mounted the cooler on the front side of the radiator behind the front grill. The existing trans. lines were cut to connect the hoses to the cooler. The cut/connection was down around the base of the radiator. Anyways the hoses were zip tied to the bottom of the radiator panel than ran through some holes in the panel to cooler with some micky mouse metal straps for the mount.

Looks bad and wonder is there any kind of hose/mounting kit or do I just do my own fabrication or change the location.

The existing cooler is 11"x 7"

Chris
Nor Cal

Hey Chris I have the same cheese ball set up too. But I was looking for something like this:

http://www.afabcorp.com/AFCO_Dynatech_USbrake/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=A&Product_Code=37750&Category_Code=hr_oil-coolers

Steel lines are much neater looking and give you more room. If you've got a good tubing bender it should turn out nice.

Thinking about an external cooler for the Demon, too. Hayes used to offer setup that essentially tied the external cooler to the radiator. But I'm with you. Since I don't have a cooler in hand, I have a little more flexibility. I'm thinking about mounting on the driver's side of the radiator. The passenger side is clogged with smog and coolant recovery stuff.

A possibility as far as plumbing is concerned is to consider braided steel hose, like Aeroquip. Most hose shops that cater to the construction industry can make these up on site to your specifications. This is what I plan to do. A construction equipment rental office may be able to do it, or refer you to who they use.

-
Back