Transmission cooler?

-

fredsmedina

6 Dart 7 MOPAR OR NOCAR
Reaction score
I'm going to be installing my TCI streetfighter 727 tranny very soon here. its going to be behind a mildly built 318. it'll be a daily driver that i can also take to the drag strip on some weekends.

do you guys recommend that i get a transmission cooler.?

since i spent a grand on the tranny, i figure its probably a good idea to get a cooler. so what coolers do you guys recommend?
how easy are they to install?

let me know any info that you guys have. thanks

Well, you could use the stock one built into the radiator......but I'd go something aftermarket... There are a lot of vendors... I haven't bought myself one yet, but you can probably pick something up for fairly cheap at your parts place...

yah. i've seen that TCI makes some coolers. has anyone used these?

i figure i'm probably better off getting an aftermarket one. because i don't wanna chance overheating my tranny at all. i'd hate to see 1000 bucks down the drain.

Don't go to big, you want the tranny to heat the fluid up some, a lot of people use big ones when towing and their tranny goes out and they don't know why.

alright will do. i've looked at summit too.

and is there any thing bad about universal cooling lines vs. OEM bent cooling lines?

I would think as long as the line is the same size, it should be fine... You can bend your own line.. I will be doing this myself in the next couple of weeks...

I would think as long as the line is the same size, it should be fine... You can bend your own line.. I will be doing this myself in the next couple of weeks...
would u mind letting me know how that goes? thanks

and thanks 66340. should help me get a better idea on the size cooler that i need

would u mind letting me know how that goes? thanks

and thanks 66340. should help me get a better idea on the size cooler that i need

When I get to it, I'll post it in my resto thread... I'll take a look at jegs and see what they have... off the top of my head, I'd guess it is 5/16" line?

When I get to it, I'll post it in my resto thread... I'll take a look at jegs and see what they have... off the top of my head, I'd guess it is 5/16" line?

alright cool. i'm planning on bending my own brake line for the rear. i've watced a couple people do it in videos on the internet, and it looks relatively self explanatory and painless. so we'll see how that goes. i think if i can do brake lines, i should have no problem doing the tranny cooling lines

You could get a TCI cooler to match your tranny.... in all reality, any cooler will be better than the stock one that is built in to the bottom of the radiator...

http://www.jegs.com/i/TCI/890/820500/10002/-1

like i said, not sure what size of line it needs to be at the moment.. at summit, you can buy line in 20 foot lengths! all you would need is a tube bender and a double flaring tool... you can get both for fairly cheap...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-220236/

alright cool. i'm planning on bending my own brake line for the rear. i've watced a couple people do it in videos on the internet, and it looks relatively self explanatory and painless. so we'll see how that goes. i think if i can do brake lines, i should have no problem doing the tranny cooling lines

i was just messing around and made a temporary fuel line.... it's easy to bend your own line...

09-14-09engine2.jpg

sweet. the fuel line looks good. thanks for the links also. and good luck bending the rest of ur lines!

it's a little close to the valve cover, so i just cut some rubber hose line to keep it from rubbing :D Like I said, just temporary.... I want this thing running Monday!

My buddy has rubber line in his 73' dart for his tranny cooler... it's probably not the best thing to run, but it has worked for now, until he bends some line for himself....

it's a little close to the valve cover, so i just cut some rubber hose line to keep it from rubbing :D Like I said, just temporary.... I want this thing running Monday!

My buddy has rubber line in his 73' dart for his tranny cooler... it's probably not the best thing to run, but it has worked for now, until he bends some line for himself....

cool.
hopefully u get it running!:cheers:

i'd be happy if i get mine driveable within a month! still got lots of reading and stuff to do though still. and gotta find the time! always soo busy now!

-
Back