Transmission Downshift Problem

-

rt383

Reaction score
Hope someone can help.

Have a 1968 Dart 340 with 727, 8 3/4 with 323 posi.When trans downshifts under WOT into 1st it automatically shifts to 2nd and the motor boggs down. How can I get it to stay in 1st longer? Adjusting the carb rod will increase shift point but only under normal driving, not with pedal to the floor?

Thanks.

I would assume that you checked the fluid and kick down adjustments,and you have a fully opening throttle and no binding of the linkage and the return spring is on the tranny linkage.Adjust the kickdown band to spec and retry and if the pan is off,check the servo for a crack or damage and seal damage,mrmopartech

Mrmopartech said:
I would assume that you checked the fluid and kick down adjustments,and you have a fully opening throttle and no binding of the linkage and the return spring is on the tranny linkage.Adjust the kickdown band to spec and retry and if the pan is off,check the servo for a crack or damage and seal damage,mrmopartech

How do you adjust the kickdown band? All the other issues you have mentioned have been addressed.

Thanks

rt383 said:
How do you adjust the kickdown band? All the other issues you have mentioned have been addressed.

Thanks
From manual... :book:
There are two band adjusters in the 727 or 904 transmissions. The kickdown band is the closer of the 2 to the motor end of the transmission. The adjuster has a lock nut which must first be loosened and backed off several turns to avoid false torque readings. Then the manual describes as follows:

(if you don't have the special tool and adapter), "Adjust the screw to 72 Inch lbs. which is the true torque.

Then back out the adjusting screw the number of turns listed in 'specifications' "

the back-out adjustment 'technically' depends on year and model, but (2 1/2 turns is the standard adjustment) for the kickdown band for all models listed in my manual (the adjustment for the other band varies from 2-4 turns depending on model 904 or 727, so the specifications section is more important)

Hold the adjuster and tighten the locknut, and you should be golden! You will need to re-adjust your kickdown linkage for the band correction.

I really hope that gets you fixed.

-
Back