Transmission Fluid Fill

-

Jim McLain

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,

I've been looking for definitive information about how to fill transmission fluid and can't find the answer.

I have a /6 904 transmission. I've seen some pics that show a drain plug on the pan, but mine doesn't have that. I've also read about a filler tube. Is that the dipstick tube (one in the same)?

Thanks in advance,

Jim in Jax

Wow! You guys are fast. thanks dc.
Depending on how long it's been, you may want to consider changing the tranny fluid and replace the filter. To do that you'll have to take the transmission pan off, drain it (can be very messy). Then replace filter, gasket and transmission pan and put new fluid in. Can't recall quarts required, though.

Yep, fill it in the dipstick tube and start off conservatively- put in, say, 4 quarts of fluid and shift it through the gears and go out and check the level after wiping the dipstick off,re-inserting the dipstick and checking the level. Make sure the car is on level ground and ALWAYS check the trans fluid level in neutral gear. Make sure the wheels are blocked so you don't end up chasing your car ! It is also best that you run it for a couple minutes to let it warm up or you may get a false reading . Regular ol Dexron ATF works well enough for regular applications

Start it in neutral. Don't even idle a motor when the trans is low on fluid. It's not like a motor. When a trans is a quart or two low, the pump sucks air, and nothing gets lubed. If your stick reads a quart low, it could be two gallons low. The stick will register what's in the pan, not how much the converter needs. I've seen plenty of sticks that said one quart low and they took a gallon. Put four quarts in; start it, then immediately check it and keep adding until it says FULL...not almost full....FULL. Check BOTH sides of the stick because sometimes the stick picks up fluid from the sides of the tube when you push it in. Then it will register high on the stick on one side and maybe nothing on the other side. Don't move the shifter until it says full. Some guys put a gallon in it and start it up and start fiddling with the motor while their trans sits there and fries.

-
Back