Transmission gear oil for a 833 needed

-

gunmetal72

Life is a dark ride
Reaction score
I recently took some advice and put Red Line MT90 gear oil in my transmission, big mistake. Now it no longer shifts smooth and down shifting from 3rd to 2nd unless I do it gently it will grind a little and power shifting 1st to 2nd also will grind. Prior to changing the oil the transmission always was very smooth and solid. So, I need to find a different oil. I would really like to find an all purpose sae 80-90 or 140 gear oil. I have been looking locally but with no luck. I do not want a synthetic oil, Does anyone know where it can be found?

The first choice in the factory service manual is ATF.

Ya, I know the book calls for either ATF or for a transmission with some miles on it, like mine, to use an all purpose sae 140. The car will never see cold weather so I am thinking I would prefer the 140. I plan to drain the synthetic out before I put any more miles on it and go back to ATF if I can't find what I am looking for.

stay with the ATF did the same as you and changed to 80-90 and had the same problems you are having Went back to ATF type F the problems went away the guys at the factory do know what the unit want and works best but if you still want to use the 140 go to a local oil dist (mobil shell ect) they will have it in stock good luck

Keep in mind, I recommended nothing. I simply stated what the service manual says. 90 weight seems like a huge departure from that.

The Borg Warner T18 in my F250 takes 50 weight motor oil according to the service manual. That's exactly what I run. It's a tad stiff to shift the first time when cold but other than that, it's perfect.

Keep in mind, I recommended nothing. I simply stated what the service manual says. 90 weight seems like a huge departure from that.

The Borg Warner T18 in my F250 takes 50 weight motor oil according to the service manual. That's exactly what I run. It's a tad stiff to shift the first time when cold but other than that, it's perfect.

What service manual are you guys using? Mine shows as follows; Warm-(whatever Chrysler meant by warm) 140wt, Moderate- 80-90wt, Cold- ATF type A
I've found the 80-90wt GL1 gear oil is the best all around oil for manual transmissions, or 50wt straight weight engine oil which has the same viscosity. I've also tried the RedLine, but in high mileage transmissions there was also the shifting issues like you had. It's probably the "slipperyness" some synthetics have that affects synchronizer lockup in older transmissions. Remember that along with lube technology changing, today's transmissions also use different materials in their syncronizers. You won't find GL1 rated oils in most parts store. It can be ordered at Napa, and most bulk suppliers have it as well. For convience, I've found 50wt motor oil works too. For light cruising, and your prior experience, ATF is where I would go back to except for long travels in hot weather.

Last edited:
Great! I would like to see the service manual. Thanks!

$40/gal !? That's a bit steep.

Don't mind paying a little extra for the proper oil. don't think I will change again, If you PM me you email I will send you the manual

-
Back