Transmission ID and lockup/non lockup verification needed

-

66Dvert

Working on my custom car parts again!
Reaction score
I have an engine and trans that I plan on putting into my dart in place of the original /6. yeah I know all you /6 haters are gonna whine about not going to a V8, but I already have a V8 convertible on the line to get restored next.
the engine was has a 78 id and it looks that the transmission might never have been removed or serviced. Rebuild time is here for the trans since I just got all the parts back for the engine to get done and am collecting info and parts for the trans.
I picked these numbers off the side rail
PK 515871 3989 8998

is it a 78? lockup? non lockup? and will a Transgo tf-1 kit (which I have ) work in the unit?

lock up .jpg

The dead giveaway is the input shaft. Lockup units have a long pilot area on the front of the input, much like a 4 speed. Non lockups have splines cut all the way to the forward most end of the shaft.

Do the slants have issue with large/ small converter snout?
yes on early years (at least to 66) my original trans has the small snout and the engine has a small crankshaft hole. I'm not too sure but I think it was in 67 that the change came in. I would make sure of that by asking others a lot more knowledgeable that me in that subject.

Pilot size(snout) sizes:

To 1967: 1.550"
1968 on: 1.810"

And NO, you cannot machine down the larger pilot to the smaller size. There's not enough metal to do that. It's not a solid piece. If you've got the early engine, you've got two choices: 1 get a custom converter built to fit the pilot hole in the crank or
2 pull the crank and take it to a qualified machine shop and have it bored out.

Choice number one would be the best option. It's not a big deal for any qualified converter shop. What they do is use the front(engine side) half of the early converter and weld it to the later other half. No big deal, the shop that I worked for in the past did this on a regular basis.

I have an engine and trans that I plan on putting into my dart in place of the original /6. yeah I know all you /6 haters are gonna whine about not going to a V8, but I already have a V8 convertible on the line to get restored next.
the engine was has a 78 id and it looks that the transmission might never have been removed or serviced. Rebuild time is here for the trans since I just got all the parts back for the engine to get done and am collecting info and parts for the trans.
I picked these numbers off the side rail
PK 515871 3989 8998

is it a 78? lockup? non lockup? and will a Transgo tf-1 kit (which I have ) work in the unit?
The TF-1 fits from 1960 - on Aluminum Torquflites. Both the 727 and the 904.

-
Back