Transmission mount for a drag car.

-
I have alway used an Energy Suspension poly insert number 51101 in a tired old stock mount. Replaced the crossmember on my 72 Duster so I could use the same on it. Moroso solid steel engine mounts and the poly trans mount allow enough movement that, I have never broken a trans case or tailshaft.

If you run a solid or poly transmission mount on an engine with solid engine mounts (motor plates, elephant ears) you'll most likely end up breaking the the tailhousing on the transmission. You have to allow for chassis flex in most homebuilt cars. Now a pro built, very rigid chassis might get by with a poly mount, but I always just use a stock rubber mount.

Tom

If you run a solid or poly transmission mount on an engine with solid engine mounts (motor plates, elephant ears) you'll most likely end up breaking the the tailhousing on the transmission. You have to allow for chassis flex in most homebuilt cars. Now a pro built, very rigid chassis might get by with a poly mount, but I always just use a stock rubber mount.

Tom
Thanks Tom, yes I just ordered a rubber mount and a mid plate today.

Mine is an Alston chassis 2" x 3" box frame. I run an engine plate, mid plate, 2 engine limiters, tranny cross member has a flat plate with 1/4" flat rubber from a mud flap, then transmission sits directly on top of rubber. 2 studs stick down out of tail shaft, going thru rubber and cross member, with flat washers and nuts on the bottom. Pretty solid. Been running it this way since I purchased the car in 2003. No cracked tail shafts or cases.

tn_IMG_0606.JPG

tn_150_5010.JPG

So I did end up buying a mid plate from competition engineering and boy either I ordered the wrong one or it's for a car with a centered engine. Piss me off, well I'll fix it up.
Take some pictures and give you guys a chuckle tomorrow morning.

-
Back