Transmission noise, with video

-

TylerW

Reaction score
Hey guys:

I've been getting some noise out of the trans area on my '74 Valiant.

The noise you hear when I load it in reverse has been there a while now, but now I'm hearing a fainter version in Drive at all times. It reminds you of an alternator bearing going bad but I have made sure that there is no noise from the alternator or power steering or anything else on the engine.

This is an all-stock car with 110K. Trans seems to be working good, no leaks, fluid looks good.

Take a listen and tell me what you think.

Thanks, T.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frY9_DtC41U&feature=youtu.be[/ame]

Before pulling it all apart I would check the clearance between the torque converter and engine/bellhousing. I have heard of the torque converters ballooning causing clearance issues. Either way it sounds like the trans will have to come out and at least have the front pump and converter checked.

Been there, done that.
feel your pain :sad10:

X2 on the torque converter,sounds like the thrust washers between the stator & impeller or stator & turbin have failed. let me guess its quite in N & P rite? If so its most deff a bad t/c.

That is a strange sound. It might be a converter/pump issue, but according to the FSM, they offer the following possible causes.
Kickdown band out of adjustment, lo-reverse band out of adjustment, output shaft bearing and or bushing damaged, governor support binding or broken seal rings, oil pump scored or binding (gear wear), faulty front and /or rear clutch, planetrary gears broken or seizing, overrun sprag worn, broken or seized.
I doubt that the converter has ballooned. Prior to retirement I worked in the converter industry, and saw very few converters that ballooned. Poorly made high stalls yes, stock converters, hardly any. Check your converter to flex plate bolts, your flex plate to crank bolts, make sure they're all tight, and check for a cracked flex plate.
If the internal washer in the converter is failing or has failed, you would see metal in the oil and in the pan, as the internal parts of the converter will be wearing against each other(the turbine and the impeller).

Thanks for the ideas guys.

I don't have much to add since I posted this topic, but I did inspect the fluid closely and also attempt to pinpoint when that noise appears.

1. There's no apparent metal in the fluid.

2. When I started the car up this evening, I heard that faint whine right from the beginning( To understand it better, there's a whine that's always there that gets drastically louder in reverse).

3. The nasty whine when the engine is loaded against the converter in reverse is louder when cold, but I noticed I can feel it through the steering wheel even when hot. I know that automatically lends itself to saying it's the PS pump but it isn't. It's reverse-specific.

4. The faint version of that noise I hear anytime the engine is running is getting louder in drive and is beginning to exactly mimic that nasty reverse sound.

5. The trans continues to work fine.

I sure hate this. For having too many doors, that Plymouth is a tight, nice-driving car. Has been rock solid reliable all summer.

I have another transmission I could put in it, but I can't be spending time or resources on this car when the Sport is yet to be on the road.

I guess I'll do some selective parts swapping between the three cars and put the '74 up for sale as a cheap runner AS-IS.

Thanks again for your help.

-
Back