Transmission Numbers

-

roosduster

Colorado Mopar
Reaction score
I pulled out my transmission with my engine today and I saw some number on it and was curious what they mean.

It is a 727 and the numbers are 73 and then a bunch of boxes and then the number 3410432-2. Also on the bellhousing there is the numbers 432-2 with an X below the first two. The numbers on the bell housing are probably at least an inch tall and on both sides of the bellhousing. Also what color did transmissions come stock from the factory?

Thanks

I can't find that specific number, the 3410...-. series is typically of the year 1970.

If that helps.

The 73 is the year and the number of boxes marked indicates the month. I don't know what the 3410432-2 is. Is it stamped above the boxes? Part number perhaps. There should be a number stamped just above the pan rail on the drivers side. This number will indicate the original application of the trans. Here is a link:
http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/transguide.pdf
Use the first 7 digits of the number. The trans came in the natural cast aluminum, they were not painted.

I can't find that specific number, the 3410...-. series is typically of the year 1970.

If that helps.

Yea, thats what it looks like from the link to the trans guide 73duster posted. Weird thing is is the number 73 is in front (towards the engine) of the boxes.

Here are some pics from the driver side of the transmission.

100_2829.jpg

100_2830.jpg

The 73 is the year and the number of boxes marked indicates the month. I don't know what the 3410432-2 is. Is it stamped above the boxes? Part number perhaps. There should be a number stamped just above the pan rail on the drivers side. This number will indicate the original application of the trans. Here is a link:
http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/transguide.pdf
Use the first 7 digits of the number. The trans came in the natural cast aluminum, they were not painted.

Thanks, I think who ever had this transmission before me may have painted it because most of it is silver but looks like some scrapped off and their is orange below it.

What is the best way to remove the paint from the transmission? Would lacquer thinner work best or maybe something like a wire wheel?
100_2836.jpg

I went and took a look at it and took some pics.

The number on the tailhousing is 3681191(red circle), which is still not in the trans guide but close to numbers for a 73 transmission. There are some numbers on the other side of the boxes (green circle), I think it starts with 73 but I can't read anything else(another reason I think it was painted). Also this pic is flipped 180 degrees so the numbers are right side up instead of upside down as on the transmission.
100_2831-1.jpg

Also if you know what any other markings are in the pics feel free to let me know.

Thanks

The number you want to match up with the trans guide link is right above the pan on the drivers side. It usually starts with the letters "PK". The numbers in the pic could be part #'s or maybe casting #'s. As far as the paint removal are you going to have the trans rebuilt? If so, you could try some paint stripper after it is disassembled. If not, a wire wheel may work. Just make sure to cover any areas that are open so you don't get any paint inside the trans.

The number you want to match up with the trans guide link is right above the pan on the drivers side. It usually starts with the letters "PK". The numbers in the pic could be part #'s or maybe casting #'s. As far as the paint removal are you going to have the trans rebuilt? If so, you could try some paint stripper after it is disassembled. If not, a wire wheel may work. Just make sure to cover any areas that are open so you don't get any paint inside the trans.

I will look for a number that starts with PK. The trans was rebuilt and I think the guy who rebuilt it must have painted it silver to cover the orange. I'd like if possible to get both those colors off of the transmission.

Since the trans has been painted you will probably have to take a wire wheel to the area just above the pan to see the numbers. Those numbers are stamped into the trans housing and are not raised like the other numbers on the trans.

Since the trans has been painted you will probably have to take a wire wheel to the area just above the pan to see the numbers. Those numbers are stamped into the trans housing and are not raised like the other numbers on the trans.

Thanks, that is what I was thinking. That the paint must have covered the letters.

-
Back