-

momoparman

MOISMYHOME
Reaction score
So I have a deep transmission pan on my 727. It's a MOROSO aluminum
DEEP sump pan.

2.33" deep.

wHnezQcStnaNQAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

I have a leak around the front of it between the pan lip and the transmission so I am changing the gasket.

It has leaked for a while drip drip drip and I just kept the fluid level up when it did leak.

Now I want to change the gasket again but I am not sure how much oil to put back in. I did not drain the cooler lines nor the torque converter.

I was told that 4qts is typical for this type of change...does that sound right?

I know your supposed to check in N when running to determine the level. Unfortunately I am using an aftermarket Lokar dip stick and it is impossible to get an accurate reading...it always looks like its over filled on the stick.
I am hoping that I can get close to normal with this change.

So anyone out there wanna set me straight on how much oil to put back in.

Yes I am measuring what comes out as well but not sure if I overfilled before due to adding oil frequently.....just looking for a base point.

Thanks,

Mop

Anyone.....I know this is a tough question. Lots of variables. Just looking for the base point....Im about to start removing the pan.

I'll tell you how I always fill one regardless of what the dipstick says and it always works. I start with 4 quarts. Start it up and run it througth the gears. Keep filling it until it drops into drive from neutral right frikkin NOW and that's it. This usually puts the fluid level a hair low on the dipstick but still in the safe range.

What is wrong with the lokar dipstick? Is the stick of incorrect length or does the fluid wipe up the sides when you try and check it? It may be you just need to cut the length of the stick and tube to get it straight and scribe new marks for "add" and "full." Proper fluid level is key so there is minimal foaming/aeration. You'd have to use a stock stick as a reference point of how much longer the stick must be from the tube to get the correct fill point. Hope that helps out.

Wipes up the sides when I pull it....Ive tried fast, slow, medium speed...you name it. I just cant tell what the level is...pisses me off big time.

I checked how much came out and its 5 qts.

It has been operating smoothly and shifts solidly so I'm gonna start with 4 then step up a half qt at a time till I get to 5 if it seems soft.

Thanks for the help....sometimes good to talk it through with friends.

PO....let you know how it goes.

Thanks,

Mop

Borrow a stock dipstick, fill the tranny up to the 'FULL' line, take it out and put the Lokar in and mark it at the same level.

Yes 2 for the T-converter and 4 for the pan, then just add what you need for the larger pan. I just called my Mopar trans man that is rebuilding mine for the Ramcharger..
X2 on oldKimmer..

Thanks for the input.

It took 5 and we tested it out on a 140 mile road trip so I think we can shut this thread down.:eek:ccasion:

Mop

-
Back