Transmission question

-

generallee

Reaction score
Does the kick down cable have anything to do with how the car shifts? Reason I ask another guy at the race track said my car would shift harder if it was hooked up. It's a 727 with a shift kit.

Unless you have a manual valve body the TP cable or linkage is eveything to the shifts.
It's what tells the trans how hard to shift and when.

Try tying it halfway back down at the trans and see what happens. :)
You'll believe it then for sure.

It has been said here a hundred times that it is really bad for a non manual valvebody trans to not have it hooked up and working right, so I won't say it again.

unless you have a manual valve body the tp cable or linkage is eveything to the shifts.
It's what tells the trans how hard to shift and when.

Try tying it halfway back down at the trans and see what happens. :)
you'll believe it then for sure.

It has been said here a hundred times that it is really bad for a non manual valvebody trans to not have it hooked up and working right, so i won't say it again.

x2!

It's a REQUIRMENT for a torqueflite unless you have a manual valve body. It controls transmission line pressure in relation to the throttle position. More throttle, more line pressure. Without it, as the throttle increases, line pressure stays low and allows the clutches to slip and it WILL burn up the transmission.

how bout on a 904??? are thay the same?

It's the same valve body, only the parking rod changes. I have wired them all the way back before, and street drove that way for years. Doing so makes for high shift points in drive, as the trans "thinks" you have the pedal to the floor whether you do or not. I got away with it as the car had 4.86 gears, so it would still shift to high gear below 50 mph. It would be really annoying with 2.76's ;)

If you dont hook it up that transmission will be cactus in no time, unless it is a full manual valve body. Brother didnt hook his up and fried the tranny in his challenger.

-
Back