transmission rebuild

-

xempirex

Reaction score
Alright, so I made call to see what a simple engine rebuild would cost me. The figure I get is 875.00 which sounded fairly reasonable. Chime in if I am off base here. Then I call to see what a transmission rebuild would be. They tell me 895.00 which sounds pretty off considering the cost of the engine rebuild. I am not sure what transmission I have but that seems a little high to me. Am I missing something???

Scratching head....

have had transmissions rebuilt for as low as $300 and as high as $1500, now when you get into transaxles they can hit $3000+

I can't imagine any business rebuilding any engine right for $875. Even if it's a 6 cyl. Just machine work alone on my 360 block cost me $810.

I have never rebuilt a manual trans. but I have rebuilt many automatics. I used to be able to rebuild one for $400 but now days with parts prices it's hard to do one for less than $700. And I'm an individual, not a business with a big overhead. The price of $895 for the trans. rebuild sounds pretty well in line for an average automatic rebuild.

Since you never gave us any information at all, other than it's just an engine and transmission I can't guess any closer than that.

It is an auto but I am not sure that I am up to speed on how to do it myself. Same with the engine. I would love to do it myself but I would hate to get it apart and discover that I bit off more than I can chew. What skill level should I be sitting at to take this on? Luckily it's not a daily driver so it's not like I need it done quick. But I don't want it sitting out there for several months either.

It is an auto but I am not sure that I am up to speed on how to do it myself. Same with the engine. I would love to do it myself but I would hate to get it apart and discover that I bit off more than I can chew. What skill level should I be sitting at to take this on? Luckily it's not a daily driver so it's not like I need it done quick. But I don't want it sitting out there for several months either.

The torqueflite is the absolute easiest auto trans. to rebuild but I'm not sure what to say on what skill level you should be at since everyone's mechanical ability varies. Some guys that have never before done something jump in and catch right on while others have a hard time understanding how it works, even if they have a book to go by. It's best if you get a manual on the torqueflite trans and read through it and see if you think you can handle it. There are a couple good manuals out there. The best is by Carl Munroe and here's a link to it on Amazon

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Torqueflite--727-Transmission-Handbook-HP1399/dp/1557883998/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1293038297&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Torqueflite A-727 Transmission Handbook HP1399: How to Rebuild or Modify Chrysler's A-727 Torqueflite for All Applications (0075478013999): Carl Munroe: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51MrlOqCiXL.@@AMEPARAM@@51MrlOqCiXL[/ame]

Munroe's book is very well written with numerous pictures and delves heavily into modifying a 727 for street/strip use yet it also covers the basic rebuild.

Another good manual that specifically covers basic rebuilding like the factory ser. manual does is by ATSG. You can find it here

http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=2&Category_Code=Chrysler

You didn't say what automatic you have (727 or 904) so I just linked the page that covers all rear wheel drive transmissions and you can click on the link for your trans.

-
Back