Transmission suggestions

-

smythge

65 with a BIG BLOCK
Reaction score
Its time for a new tranmission, my front seal started leaking today, and I have been having shifting problems for a while. I am looking for suggestions. Would like reverse manual valve body. I've been looking at the TCI competition series which Summit Racing has for $850.00

I see nobody else has answered this and I haven't personally had any experience with them but I'll throw in my .02 anyway. I have heard questionable things about them on other boards. A few have had good luck. Several haven't. Personally I would stick to someone who builds strictly torqueflights but that's just my opinion. Take it or leave it.

I'd love to get my hands on a fresh one and tear it apart to see what kind of work they really do just so I could give an honest answer.

If I were you I'd check with places like Andrews racing, Hensley's Performance, and Mancini's just to see what they have to offer. Chances are they aren't going to beat Summit's price but if they are close I'd consider it just because I trust the work from those places more. 2 of those places I highly recommend doing business with, Andrews, and Hensleys. I have done business with both and they are both excellent to deal with. Can't say much about Mancini but a bud of mine like them.

That's a tough question. Go with a TCI or B+M 727 or find some old Chrysler guy that can do 727's in his sleep. I'd go with the old guy and get your monies worth but you'll have to ask around your area and when you get a name ask to talk to a few of his customers. It's kind of like shopping for a new family doctor but I'd trust the old 727 guy first. :evil2:

Being one to do things myself. I'd buy a good book on the subject and tear into it. Only way to learn is hands on. It's not so bad, to do tranny's..Their just kinda messy while tearing them down. A few things you'll want.... Deep dish tranny pan with cooling fins, a new converter depending on your application, the manual valve body, new clutch disks, and replace any worn gears. Oh n dont forget a new shifter :) Will that go over the $850 doing it yourself? I dunno , but I'd Try :)

Eric_S68 said:
Being one to do things myself. I'd buy a good book on the subject and tear into it. Only way to learn is hands on. It's not so bad, to do tranny's..Their just kinda messy while tearing them down. A few things you'll want.... Deep dish tranny pan with cooling fins, a new converter depending on your application, the manual valve body, new clutch disks, and replace any worn gears. Oh n dont forget a new shifter :) Will that go over the $850 doing it yourself? I dunno , but I'd Try :)

Eric, your right of course there is only one way to learn, I'd rather not remember the first automatic I overhauled, it wasn't pretty. Since then its not a problem and there has been a couple of dozen over the years. :evil2:

demon seed said:
Eric, your right of course there is only one way to learn, I'd rather not remember the first automatic I overhauled, it wasn't pretty. Since then its not a problem and there has been a couple of dozen over the years. :evil2:
Yeah that first one brings back not so fond memories here too. :sad2: But it was a good learing experience. Back then they weren't as understood as they are now. Although automatics aren't for everyone.

Maybe Smythge don't have time to do one either. For some it's a busy world. It's easier to shell out the bucks than spend the time. For me I have more time than money.

I found an old guy that runs a hole in the wall tranny shop and I asked him about TCI trannies because I was looking at getting a TCI Sizzler. He told me that he has had one apart and all they did was take a stock tranny and threw a kit in and took out the accuator (spelling?) spring.
I don't know much about auto trannies but this guy took me around his shop and sat me down for about 40 mins and showed me different things about 727's I learned alot of stuff about 727's in that 40 mins and all I did was walk in and ask about TCI trannies.
So instead of spending the money on a brand new and shiny tranny Im ganna take a old 727 in my garage and goto this old guys shop and have it rebuilt by a pro save 200 bucks and get an education at the same time.

360scamp said:
I found an old guy that runs a hole in the wall tranny shop and I asked him about TCI trannies because I was looking at getting a TCI Sizzler. He told me that he has had one apart and all they did was take a stock tranny and threw a kit in and took out the accuator (spelling?) spring.
I don't know much about auto trannies but this guy took me around his shop and sat me down for about 40 mins and showed me different things about 727's I learned alot of stuff about 727's in that 40 mins and all I did was walk in and ask about TCI trannies.
So instead of spending the money on a brand new and shiny tranny Im ganna take a old 727 in my garage and goto this old guys shop and have it rebuilt by a pro save 200 bucks and get an education at the same time.

You know this is basically what the post on another board said was done to his TCI tranny. It barely made it out of warranty. When it died they tore it apart and found none of the clearances were properly set and basically the shift improvements were just the removal of the accumulator spring.

Although to give them some credit since I have never seen any of there work one other poster that races alot swears he has run a couple of them over the years and never had any problems.

I wouldn't buy any unless it had "low band apply". As far as I know the TCI stuff doesn't have it. I could be wrong though.

Jack

The shop is up in burlington...

A better transmission
360-707-5935

The guy has been building trannies for 30+ years and owns mopars!!!

Ok I am turned off on the TCI. Anybody know of a local shops in southern Wisconsin or northern IL? Anybody have good experiences with the Mancini Racing transmissions?

I've enlisted the help of a friend to help rebuild my transmission, wondering if someone can recommend a good kit.

There are several places that can fix you up with what you need. 3 places come to mind that you can talk to and compare prices are Andrews Racing, Hensley Performance, and Mancini Racing. I have Dealt with all 3 and found all to be excellent dealers. I have to say Chris at Andrews racing is the most knowledgeable I've ever talked to and a real nice guy. The Hensley's are super nice people too.

Here are their web links.

http://www.andrewsracingtrans.com/home/index.html
http://www.hensleyperformance.com/
http://www.manciniracing.com/

-
Back