transmission swap info?

-

SinSled13

Reaction score
Need info on 75 dart transmission.
I have a 75 dart custom w/318 auto, would like to switch it over to standard. I dont know much about dodges or transmission swaps, is there a certain transmission i need to bolt up to the 318, any information will be helpful.

Do a search in the 4 speed section. This has been discussed over and over again. Figure on spending anywhere from $1.2k to $2k pending where and from who you buy parts from. Also, will you be doing the swap or have it farmed out? I spent $1.8k to do the swap, bought used and new parts if needed, rebuilt the trans myself but needed parts within. Do your homework before you start spending $$.

Check brewers Performance or Passon Performance for advice and parts. 2 very good sources specific to Mopar trans.

1. Pedal assy with clutch pedal.

2. Rod from clutch pedal to z-bar and boot

3. Bellhousing ballstud bracket frame ballstud, and frame ballstud bracket

4. Z-bar and seals, bearings, clips

5. Linkage from z-bar to clutch fork

6. Clutch fork

7. Fork pivot

8. Bellhousing ,boot and dust cover

9. Throwout bearing assy

10. Clutch and pressure plate

11. Flywheel

12. Pilot bearing

13. Transmission, 1966 -1974 "A" body A833 or 1975-1980 "A" or "F" bodies A833 OD

14. Floor tunnel

15. Shifter

16. Shifter mounting bracket

17. Shifter linkage

18. Shifter stick

19. Shifter ball

20. Bolts and fasteners

This does not cover differences in trasmissions, standard or OverDrive. If you are replacing a 904, 998 or 999 automatic transmission, your driveshaft will work if you get a small, 26 spline, output "A" or "F" body 4 speed or OD. If you have a 30 spline output shaft 4 speed or OD, you only need to change input yoke and rebalance your driveshaft. Shifters should be Hurst Competition Plus 64-65 "A" body with reverse lever stamped 2336, or 68 up shifters with reverse lever stamped 6353 (these can be found on 68 up "A" and "F" bodies, 68 and 69 "B" bodies, and 76-87 up trucks with the A833 OD manual transmissions). I would stay away from the inland shifters. There are other combinations but these are the "easiest" and use noncustom parts. Check out Passon Performance or Brewers Performance. I have all but decided to swap in a 4 speed OD into our 1967 340 Barracuda. If I do I will document it and share it here with pictures.

-
Back