Transmission to Hump clearance/Modification-Advice needed

-

Brad426

Reaction score
I've had a design set back and could use your advice.
I need to cut some of the transmission hump out to get the clearance and better align the drive shaft. With out cutting the hump and having 0.250" clearance I had a drive shaft angle of 10 degree. I understand it should be 5 degree max or less. As you see it in the picture I'm down to about 3 degree and still need some hump to transmission clearance. I figure if I have to cut out any hump material I might as well try for the best drive shaft alignment I can (0.050 or 1.000 degree). I may have to cut more towards the rear of the car as well. Is there a company that can supply replacement drive shaft hump sheet metal to make "capping" it off easier? Or I'm I looking at more custom work?

Attachments

• DSC00001.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 114
  • DSC00002.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 115
There's really not much to forming a piece of sheet metal over the existing hump to get the curve and then once your angle is set to fab it up from there. Or find a local sheet metal shop that has a roller to bend one up for you. All the aftermarket ones I've seen come from chassis fab companies like Chassis Engineering, and in Aluminum, not steel. Or else, save you cut pieces and weld on some strips and reinstall - probably the easiest to do...
I haven't followed your build, but it looks like you've sliced into the torsion bar/trans cross member where it goes thru the tunnel - is it removed? Do you plan on reinstalling it? A lot of strength lost if not...

My complete hump has been replaced.....took the fab guy an afternoon...

-
Back