Transplanting '74 factory A/C from car to car (is it a good idea?)

-

Greg A-M

Reaction score
Hey FABO,

I've looked through the manuals I have ready anything about installing or removing the a/c system on the 6 cyl. cars. There are plenty of warnings about not disconnecting refrigerant lines unless it's been drained first.

Is transplanting a factory a/c set up from one 6 cyl. to another something that can be without a massive to-do or should a car with no a/c remain that way and those with keep theirs?

If it an be done are there any guides to show how it's done?

Last edited:
The firewall changed and the heat/AC boxes around 1973.
First be certain both firewalls are the same. Can't fit later into early or vice versa.
Other considerations are fans, water pump, pulleys, brackets and radiators.
If one car has everything you need, it should not be too hard.
A good HVAC guy can save all your freon for you.

The firewall changed and the heat/AC boxes around 1973.
First be certain both firewalls are the same. Can't fit later into early or vice versa.
Other considerations are fans, water pump, pulleys, brackets and radiators.

Thanks, that was really good to know!

A question that's sparked by knowing that: Do any of the aftermarket a/c units like the ones from Classic Industries work for 6 cyl. cars? The ones I found were for v8s and on top of that do they not work because they're not made to fit a the 6 cyl. firewall (I'm assuming theres a difference)?

The aftermarket people probably don't make the compressor brackets and stuff to add a pulley and move the power steering out for a six. Firewall should be no different.

The firewalls are different between AC and non AC cars. There are different holes in different places, as well as different contours and reliefs. it wouldn't be a showstopper, but realize this is a fairly large undertaking .

I did exactly what you are wanting to do BUT WAIT I had a complete car to get everything from the major problem besides having the correct parts is all the correct holes needed in the firewall to do this mounting - heater - a/c lines - drain - fan on and on I cut the firewall out of the parts car and used it as a template on my non a/c car worked great IMO it would very hard to locate all the hole otherwise --- another thing appears your in California why are you wanting to go through the hassle to get A/C I'm in Indiana and very seldom use mine

Thanks, that was really good to know!

A question that's sparked by knowing that: Do any of the aftermarket a/c units like the ones from Classic Industries work for 6 cyl. cars? The ones I found were for v8s and on top of that do they not work because they're not made to fit a the 6 cyl. firewall (I'm assuming theres a difference)?

Classic Auto Air will work on slant six, at least 73 up. I have it in my 73 Duster. You will need custom brackets fabricated.

Dennis

-
Back