Tremec Kit Question

-

360notch

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on installing a Tremec TKO600, 0.64 OD (I want the close ratios, otherwise would go with the TKO500). Classic Motorsports Group has discounted their Tremec kits by $500, but I have a concern with their design. It requires completely cutting out the hump section of the t-bar crossmember and bolting in a piece they supply. Anyone have any experience or opinions?

Ron
67 Notchback

I think their kits are one of the better engineered kits.There just doesnt seem to be any way around cutting up the a bodies to retrofit these trannys and maintain correct driveline angle.There kit gets the tranny up high enough to mantain correct driveline angle.Just my two cents.

justin

I have the Keisler setup with the tremec. I've seen the design from Classic Mopar in person and it is 1,000 times better than Keisler's. I wish I had their crossmember instead of the grief I had to go through welding and cutting and fabricating my crossmember to fit.

Stick with their design. My 2 cents

I'm planning on installing a Tremec TKO600, 0.64 OD (I want the close ratios, otherwise would go with the TKO500). Classic Motorsports Group has discounted their Tremec kits by $500, but I have a concern with their design. It requires completely cutting out the hump section of the t-bar crossmember and bolting in a piece they supply. Anyone have any experience or opinions?

Ron
67 Notchback

Ron, you might want to contact Brad Wedan at:

http://www.5speedtransmissions.com/

Thanks, Tony. I talked to brad -- great guy! Found out you, he and I all have 67 barracudas -- mine's a coupe. As you know, Brad is in-process of developing an a-body Tremec kit as part of his hemi swap, but it isn't ready yet. The only thing I don't like about the CMG-type kit is that the crossmember connector plates block the area where the exhaust pipes would normally run (see picture in link below). It looks like it can be modified to provide clearance by reshaping the 4 connector plates (reshaping the design to arc inwards and attach near the center). I asked Brad what he thought about modifying the crossmember set-up and he suggested I talk to Jeff at CMG about that possibility. Concern is strength -- the CMG design is stronger than original, but moding it may weaken it. After I talk to Jeff, I'll let everyone know what he says.
Ron

http://www.classicmopar5speed.com/1970-Dart-Mopar-Tremec-Install-wu.aspx

Thanks, Dave.

The 67 and later a-bodies have more room than yours, but I know it still won't be easy. 40 years ago, when I destroyed my faithful 225 /6 in my 63 dart, I dropped in a 383/833 from the junk yard, so I know how tight the early a-bodies are. I read your Tremec installation post -- congratulations on doing a great job!

I'm leaning heavily toward the Quicktime bellhousing because it is smaller and lighter than the Lakewood. Have you heard anything one way or the other on the Quicktime vs the Lakewood?

Ron

Thanks, Tony.

I tried to reply earlier, but somehow I screwed up and it got lost.

Taked to Brad -- great guy. He's working on an a-body kit but it isn't ready yet. I like the CMG kit but the trans crossmember attachment design gets in the way of where the exhaust pipes would normally tuck in (see picture at http://www.classicmopar5speed.com/1970-Dart-Mopar-Tremec-Install-wu.aspx). I asked Brad what he thought about modifying the CMG set up to provide clearance, and he suggested I call Jeff Mortenson at CMG. Could cause strength issues. After I talk to Jeff, I'll let everyone know what he said.

Ron

-
Back