Trick flow 190 oil feed

-

MHEAD

Reaction score
I'm looking at the oil feed holes to the rocker arms and they seem small.They are around 1/8" in diameter.Has anyone running these had any issues or drilled them bigger?
Thanks
20220224_132716.jpg

Plenty, the shaft will fill and pressurize.

..or just disassemble the rockers and assembly lube it for every cold start 1st..Joke.
Refer to my next post about index milling a head bolt.

Last edited:
Mine were not getting enough oil and was wearing out the rocker bushings in my prw rocker arms
Both prw and Mike at b3 recommended that I change the lifters out to pushrod oiling to help with that.
So far so good!
I bought the Rocker arms from Mike and he was able to warranty them for me.
I would definitely recommend that you talk to him about that..

I'm looking at the oil feed holes to the rocker arms and they seem small.They are around 1/8" in diameter.Has anyone running these had any issues or drilled them bigger?
ThanksView attachment 1715876820
Theres a head bolt trick you can do to bring more oil by it. Index mill the shank. Torque it, mark the bolt hex head in the direction of the oil feed hole, remove bolt and machine a flat on the non threaded portion on the side of the mark you made.

Last edited:
Mine were not getting enough oil and was wearing out the rocker bushings in my prw rocker arms
Both prw and Mike at b3 recommended that I change the lifters out to pushrod oiling to help with that.
So far so good!
I bought the Rocker arms from Mike and he was able to warranty them for me.
I would definitely recommend that you talk to him about that..

We’re you running a standard or HV pump.

I'd like to see pressure reading from the shaft. What shafts etc. It used to matter, the positioning of the holes..but now 2 pc bushed rockers have a ring of oil around them and blow oil out 24-7..where as it used to be timed.. hence the holes had to be clocked just right according to what rocker arm was used and necessary number of holes for adjuster oiling, tip and roller/bushing. If it just fills the rocker and creating a cylindrical oil bath..like with 2 pc bushing types.. timing gone..now it steady pisses. Bushings or rocker bore is typically the biggest leak in that area.

So he's bringing oil through the pushrod/through the adjuster to fix his shaft rocker bushings wearing out? Neat trick.:eek:
Lol
Like I said,
Both Mike at b3 and prw recommended
Adding pushrod oiling to get more oil to the shafts.
The adjusters have oil holes in them as well as the rocker arms that feeds the rocker shafts..
That's how magnum engines get oil there.
Anyway it solved the wearing out bushings problem for my Engine.

Lol
Like I said,
Both Mike at b3 and prw recommended
Adding pushrod oiling to get more oil to the shafts.
The adjusters have oil holes in them as well as the rocker arms that feeds the rocker shafts..
That's how magnum engines get oil there.
Anyway it solved the wearing out bushings problem for my Engine.
Magnum engines don't have shafts. I'm not saying its unheard of to oil through the rockers... 'just to fill the shafts is all'
I wonder IF the cam bearing is completely aligned .. and if so...me? I'd grind on 2 head bolts before spending on new pushrods over it...BUT as long as it fixed the problem.. those guys did you well, this has nothing to do with them. Some of us do things differently ... and don't always approach it with 100 dollar bills as much as ingenuity.

Last edited:
Magnum engines don't have shafts. I'm not saying its unheard of to oil through the rockers..just to fill the shafts is all.
I wonder the cam bearing is aligned ..
Your right
Thank you , I meant that it does oil through the adjuster to the rocker arm bushings also.
Maybe it has a cam bearing not aligned just right like you said?
But it seems ok now.
I will say that while I waited to get the warranty rockers back
I put on a set of 273 shafts and rockers
I drove it with those for a month or so
They showed no sign of wear at all.
That was before adding pushrod oiling.

I have drilled the oil holes on 440 TF heads. They also come with tiny holes which I enlarged to 3/16". The tricky part is enlarging the hole at the top end.
Another fix for shaft rockers is to grind a groove about 0.030" by 0.030" in the #4 cam journal. This will supply full time oil to the top end, versus a pulsed supply.

Your right
Thank you , I meant that it does oil through the adjuster to the rocker arm bushings also.
Maybe it has a cam bearing not aligned just right like you said?
But it seems ok now.
I will say that while I waited to get the warranty rockers back
I put on a set of 273 shafts and rockers
I drove it with those for a month or so
They showed no sign of wear at all.
That was before adding pushrod oiling.

Spring pressures and cam lift shove that rocker arm up n the springs resistance is shoving it back 'hence the wear position/witness marks'...those bushings imo have a tendency to wear in & leak out the top. The bushing material matters too of course. I too have a nice set of 273 rockers they're actually Mopar performance "bushed for 7500 rpm" the bushings also have banana grooves in them. They never starve. My comps, same 'they are steel no bushing'.
Its pretty much narrowed down to
A. cam bearing missaligned
B. Heads oil feeds restrictive,size or at the stand-its counter bore.
C.Too much rocker bore clearance.

It's an odd issue for a sbm.

Yeah, there was something else wrong there. I run that exact same rocker and I’m not getting after the shafts like that. That is lack of oil.

I’d be concerned that a cam bearing wasn’t installed correctly or it turned in the bore is is at least partially blocking the oil feed hole to the head.
Thank you
Yeah anything is possible
I put my Engine together 4 years ago and have 48,000 miles on it now
In response to the OPs thread
I just wanted to give my experience
I drove it for two years with stock X heads and rockers with no issues
It wasn't until I switched to Trick flows
And prw rockers that I had the bushing/ oiling issue.
One thing I wanted to add , is the new replacement rocker shafts have two oiling holes instead of one like the first set had.
Mike at b3 said it may be that they added those to help with bushing oiling.
To the OP , I would recommend talking to
Mike and or Trick flow.
Good luck on your Engine

Isnt oiling through the pushrods the preferred way of oiling with TF's? I am putting together my 408 and plugged the block so shaft oiling isnt possible now. Running TFs with HS rockers.

Isnt oiling through the pushrods the preferred way of oiling with TF's? I am putting together my 408 and plugged the block so shaft oiling isnt possible now. Running TFs with HS rockers.
Could be now
When I talked with them about oiling through the shafts they said they haven't had a problem.
But that was a year or so ago.
I'd call them..

What amount or oil did you see when you prelubed and/or better yet, had the motor running?
I have ample (IMO) oil flowing just from the shaft/rockers during prelubing and with the engine running with my TF heads and Erson needle bearing roller setup. I also pushrod oil to the rocker cup adjusters so I have additional oil up top. With the valve covers off and engine running with the smaller diameter drain back holes in the heads the oil pools up at the back of the heads and “slightly” overflows over the cover rails as it returns. Not too much but the TF drain back holes could/should be enlarged a little in my case I think.
Honestly I can’t say I know exactly how much oil is enough for whatever rocker set up being run. More experienced might have a better take on that.

Last edited:
Got a buddy shaft oiling with the Mancini rockers made by HS, not had any issues with it at all on his trick flow heads

-
Back