trim for vinyl top

-

gpreston57

Reaction score
whats the best way to remove the chrome trim on vinyl top without messing it up? leave it to expert or what?

Could you be a little more specific about which pieces and what type of car? It's hard to answer your question with the info provided.
Dallas

Could you be a little more specific about which pieces and what type of car? It's hard to answer your question with the info provided.
Dallas
Its a 74 swinger 2 dr. with vinyl top trimmed in chrome all around, found self bending/distorting the trim/ holddown pieces trying to get them off with a screwdriver, etc. is theree a trick to removing it? I noticed there are plastic clips with small metal studs all the way around, would like to re use the chrome. Thanks, GARY

It's been awhile since I've worked on a Dart but I'm pretty sure there are some studs that are attached to the chrome that are speed nutted from the inside of the car in various places . You may have to remove the sail panels to access the studs in the quarters and the others can be reached from the trunk . Is " nutted " really a word ?

Its a 74 swinger 2 dr. with vinyl top trimmed in chrome all around, found self bending/distorting the trim/ holddown pieces trying to get them off with a screwdriver, etc. is theree a trick to removing it? I noticed there are plastic clips with small metal studs all the way around, would like to re use the chrome. Thanks, GARY

IFIRC, the little piece by the windshield on the a-pillar has one phillips screw and one clip. After you take the screw out you can kind of wiggle it around and back and forth and either it will come off the plastic clip or the clip will silde off the stud.

Kind of in the middle of the thought here but I thought I would point out that the plastic clips are designed to slide onto the studs first when reattaching the chrome. Then you can kind of hook the chrome onto either the top or bottom of the clip and kind of roll it over the other side to make it snap into place. That's easier than trying to just place it directly on top of the clip and bumping it straight onto the clip. Less likely to dimple the chrome that way also.

If you are taking the drip mouldings off the easiest way for me is to start at the bottom of the front piece and the rear of the long piece. It overhangs the drip rail a little bit so you can work it to get it started. I start working the bottom side up off the little lip first. Once you get it started, just keep working it loose from the bottom and kind of roll it over the edge, then it will unhook form the top. When you pit it back on, hook the top first and kind of roll it back over the bottom edge.

The rear moulding below the rear glass and the c-pillar mouldings use a combination of plastic clips on the little studs and metal clips that go through the steet metal and are fastened with a nut on the underneath. I believe the metal clips start toward the rear of the c-pillar moulding and that there aren't any at the front by the quarter glass, just plastic clips there. You need to get in the trunk and remove all the nuts on the metal clips first. This will enable you to wiggle the chrome around enough you should be able to work it off the plastic clips. I think the center piece behind the back glass comes off first but I don't remember for sure. You can tell be looking at the ends. One other thing you might do is use one of those little pointed 'hook' tools that have a 45 degree end on them. You can work that between the plastic clip and chrome to pop it loose.

I hope this explanation isn't too long but it should walk you through step by step. It really isn't that difficult to get the chrome off without damaging it.
If it weren't so hard to me to get my old fat butt in and out of the trunk to get the nuts off the metal clips, I could probably take all the chrome off in the time it took me to type this. :toothy10::toothy10:
Good luck,
Dallas

-
Back