Trim hole sealing.

-

1963dartgt

Reaction score
I'm working on a 63 dart and I'm missing to much of the side trim to even try and look for and or pay for . So my question. Is is there a way to seal the trim holes without welding them closed like a mesh screen on the back and filler on the front.

I've seen guys knock them in a little, grind them and tape the back before filler is applied.

Im doing the same thing on a 66 dart. Well over 50 holes at about 1/4-3/8" holes. Originally i glued hole punchs in each hole using the 3m 8115.(i think thats correct #) many members thought it might show after few years so i thought about welding but im worried about warpage. Some have suggested fiberglass resin filler. I think im going to roll the dice with small metal punches glue in place using the 3m adhesive. Just so many options to try and so many different opinions!
Rod

I just had an idea maybe I can knock the hole in with a hammer a little bit and get some rivets then use filler over those . Maybe I'll try one and see how I like it.

Thats a thought. My holes are to big for a rivot. Let me know how you make out. I used a metal hole punch to make my filler piece. I was happy with that until i ask and read what othets thought. Too many opinions!! I need to just do it!!

I was just over at the hot rodders forum and using lead seems to be a popular method for filling the holes . They said when you get good at it it takes about two min a hole.

Im doing the same thing on a 66 dart. Well over 50 holes at about 1/4-3/8" holes. Originally i glued hole punchs in each hole using the 3m 8115.(i think thats correct #) many members thought it might show after few years so i thought about welding but im worried about warpage. Some have suggested fiberglass resin filler. I think im going to roll the dice with small metal punches glue in place using the 3m adhesive. Just so many options to try and so many different opinions!
Rod

I believe welding is probably the best, lead second, If I was to do it with filler, I would fiberglass it first, then use filler over the glass to smooth it out.

I've done some lead work on the roof of my brothers Monte Carlo when I was 16 so about 12 years ago but have never had my hands on a welder . Maybe I'll check on the price of a lead kit.

If you are going to recess the holes slightly, use Duraglass or Alumalead. They apply like a filler but are very hard and withstand moisture. Just enough to fill the recess, then use regular filler to finish and feather. Any place you can access, clean up most of what pushes through, clean surrounding area and undercoat. Addressing both sides will insure a better, long lasting job.....

Use lead or use a copper spoon or copper sheet behind the holes when you weld it helps to keep warpage to a minimum by absorbing most of the heat and makes the backside of the weld look good,going slow is the key to keeping warpage down.I have used long strand fiberglass filler with good results.

-
Back