Trim removal, '64 Barracuda

-

fshd4it

Squid inc
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
What's the best way to remove the rocker trim pieces? Am I correct in assuming the plastic clips underneath them stay fastened to the body? I haven't tried anything yet, figured I'd ask here first before I started breaking clips that I probably can't get replacements for. While on the subject of replacement, the diamond-shaped spring clips (for the trim along the top of the quarters and doors) are rusted. Anyone know if they're available? They don't want to pull out, and I'd rather take a pair of nippers to them from underneath than take a chance bending the trim strips.

I had to break and replace all of my clips on my 65. The plastic was too fragile to remove them properly.

I had to break and replace all of my clips on my 65. The plastic was too fragile to remove them properly.
You were able to find new ones, then? That's good to know, I didn't have high hopes for saving 54 year-old pieces of plastic. Thanks.

I'm kinda liking Dart_Doctor's idea of leaving them off and filling the holes, though. That would save me from having to find a decent pair of rear wheelwell mouldings.

^more likely what I am doing. I have also considered painting the rocker trim black and reattaching without the wheelwell moldings just for texture. (car is also black)

to remove the rocker panels isn´t rocket sience. first remove the screw which secures the panel, than loosen the fender well trimm where it touches the panel (take out some of the screws, so you can shift it sideways.) than you can slide out the rocker panels.
no need to break the edges of the plastic clips.

removing the clips is also very easy. just take a drill, screwdriver (what ever you like) and a Phillips screw... drill the screw right in the middle of the plastic plug which secures the clip (only about 1/4 inch or so, just to get some grip) then take your pliers and pull the screw with the plug. the clip should be easy going out now

forgot to mention: this should work front or rear, maybe you have to remove your wheels first (depends on the width of them)

-
Back