Trouble getting a slant six in the car

-
T
Wiring for the engine is pretty basic and simple. Check the bulkhead connector and make sure it doesn't look "fried" Are you running a points ignition or electronic ? One thing I always seem to forget is to run a ground strap from the engine to the body make sure you have one. Go slow ,take your time, check twice YOU GOT THIS!!!

so that’s what that strap was that went from the block to the firewall that got broken…… it’s an electronic ignition by the way

Don, I've done it like that in the past too. For some reason as age has caught up to me, it just seem easier to do it all together.
I had the engine bolted in Honey's '64 Dart when I rebuilt the 4 spd transmission. On trans install, I couldn't keep from bumping the clutch plate out of alignment with the transmission input shaft. I invited my body builder neighbor over to lend a hand. He holds up the transmission with one hand and depresses the clutch fork with his other hand so the clutch plate would float on the transmission input shaft. Transmission hooked right up. The neighbor comes out from under the car, his face a little pink and the veins sticking out on his neck and he says, "That was a good one!" I was speechless...:eek:

I just installed my slant into a 74 with the trans already in place. It was not as easy dealing with the spool mounts but I did get it in. I had to jack up the front of the trans and align things just right. I had a helper working the hoist and had a big breaker bar to move the engine around. The old style mounts are much easier to deal with.

I stab that beeotch in at about a 45-50 degree angle, Kitty gets the floor jack under the transmission tail shaft and that bad boy is in in no time. You just need a routine.

I stab that beeotch in at about a 45-50 degree angle, Kitty gets the floor jack under the transmission tail shaft and that bad boy is in in no time. You just need a routine.
We put the 340 in the Duster with a 727 on the back, an 8 qt Milodon pan and a power booster for the brakes in the way about 2 years ago....slipped the headers in, and tied em up to the hood hinges to keep em outta the way. Hot and rainy, straight up outside...thought I had it! Till the oil pan hit the K...

-
Back