Trouble installing new tank

-

GhostFish

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I just dropped the old tank out of my 66. I had a time getting it out but the seal on the filler tube opening and filler tube finally gave up.

Is there some secret voodoo trick to getting the replacement tank in? It measures the same as the old tank but I'm having a hell of a time getting it to line up and go in.

Can anyone provide me with a little direction before I go insane? I just want to replace the crap electric fuel pump and fuel cell in the trunk and get it the way it should be!

Ant

What part are you having trouble with? If your filler neck goes to the body from in the car. You need to shove it into the tank as far as you can. I use Lithium Grease on all my gas tanks to include the rubber grommet, Sending unit rubber washer and the filler neck. Makes the job alot easier.

Did you remove the tube before you dropped the tank? If not it would be very tight dropping out and near impossible to put back. Remove tube first and put it back in after the tank is in place. Kinda like a puzzle cause of the way the tank fits around the spare well.

Tube is still in. I can't seem to figure out how to get under the rear floor board to remove the screws holding the rubber seal in. That would make it 50 times easier I would imagine ...

you talking about the rubber seal around the filler tube...... The screws are usually up top. At least they are on 67 Up cars. Never seen an older one so I may be talking out my azzzzz.

ive changed tanks in a 66 cuda with no problems,, maybe your new tank ? reproduction ? is not to spec,,,, jack up the car high enough to wiggle the tank and twist it on to the filler neck,lube it up if u must,,

too get to the screws to remove the filler tube, you have to remove the screws under the gas cap,, and then behind the back seat area under the big window, you will have to remove all those screws holding in the floor/carpet stainless trim,,remove the back seat and carpet under the glass,,then unscrew that big floor pan its been years but im sure the filler neck, to floor mounting screws are under that floor pan in the corner,,,

ide find a way to get in in with out removing all that stuff if your carpet has any age on it at all

if its the correct tank the filler neck opening will be smaller then a 67 and up even tho they interchange with a little modifing of the tank gromet,

I think the tank and mounting is similar to other A's, but never thought about where your filler neck goes through. Sounds like it's different in the old fishes with long back glass. Most A's it's all in through the trunk....

I just did my 66 last weekend, no trouble. Unbolted old tank strap dropped tank down on jack pulled a bit came right out new one put some grease on filler neck grommet and slide into place.

Did you remove the tube before you dropped the tank? If not it would be very tight dropping out and near impossible to put back. Remove tube first and put it back in after the tank is in place. Kinda like a puzzle cause of the way the tank fits around the spare well.

It's pretty much just like what you described. I think I'm going to have to get everything out of the back just to access the 5 screws holding that rubber around the filler tube.

My 66 filler tube goes from the trunk into the back of the cab then out the bottom of the car. Tank was an ebay repro so it may be off in areas although on my measurements everything appeared in order.

I'll just make it fit and hope I don't have to modify much after I get everything out of the back. :violent1: I was really hoping it was going to be a quick job considering I have a wiring harness and trans to install still

>< So much for driving it on vacation...

Thanks for the advice guys, it's much appreciated! :)

Obviously it can be done with the tube in according to others here. I know mine in the Duster was hanging onto the tube, but then when its all wide open in the trunk its a no brainer to get it out of the way. It sounds like your big dillemma is getting to the floor seal. Any reason the tube can't slide through the seal without pulling everything else out? My tube on the duster attaches with a flange from the outside with screws under the cap - then it slides out . You already have the tank out, so how bout cleaning up the bottom of the tube, lube it a little, and slide it up/out? You would only need to pull it to the seal but not out. I wanted to replace my gasket on outside panal anyway so it had to come all the way out the side.

I finally fought it in tonight. Lubed up the grommet for the filler hole and managed to get the filler tube pulled down enough without damaging anything and got the new tank back up and mounted. Just have to run my ohm wire for the fuel sensor tomorrow then it's on to either the trans or wiring harness.

Thanks again guys!

-
Back